Why am I having such a hard time letting go?

My husband and I just have one child who is a 22 month old little boy. It took me a yr to get pregnant with him and I really started to wonder if I could even get pregnant so now that hes here I am having a hard time letting him grow up. He still takes the bottle and binky even though he doesn't have to have the bottle, I just get really sad thinking about taking it away from him. Im not sure when and if we can have another baby even though were trying right now so I get sad knowing that my son is growing up so fast and that he might be the only child I ever have. I had the baby blues really bad when he was born... I missed him being in my tummy and I was even crazy enough to think about trying for another one right after he was born but finally came to my senses. Can someone help me figure out why Im so insecure about my baby growing up? Have any of you other moms experienced this befor?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:36 AM on Oct. 21, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Continued.... I forgot to mention that I stay at home with him while my husband works so we are attached at the hip. I even get sad thinking about him going to school cause then we wont get as much time togeather any more.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:42 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• You know why - he may be your only baby and you want to enjoy it for as long as possible. Is it bad that he's still getting a bottle and a binky? No - not if the bottle usually has water, you brush his teeth, and he can use a cup. But you also know that the toddler years are all about independence - he will say "NO Mommy" and "Me do it" more and more over the next year.
    Make sure he knows what "NO" means, make sure he learns that he won't always get his way, make sure you let him run/jump/climb/play. Enjoy your baby - he'll be little guy before you know it. Just don't baby him too much on the way.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 10:47 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• Thanks for the advice and thats one thing my husband and I are pretty good at is that we dont baby him cause we want him to be able to fall and get back up with no help. I have not stopped him from growing but am just having a hard time watching it lol. Like you said, I think Im just trying to hold on to the baby years cause Im not sure if we will have another baby. Thanks again for the advice kaycee14.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:55 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• I think it's a perfectly normal feeling. I have 2 children, no difficulties getting pregnant. I still have a hard time watching them grow up. My oldest is 7, and I looked at him the other day and realized how grown up he looks, and it made me want to shove him back inside my tummy. lol I think you're fine, it's just hard to let go. Nothing wrong with that, unless you smother him, which from what you say, you don't.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 11:03 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• Yes, my daughter is 5 and I cannot have anymore children as well. But, I did not hold her back from the stages of her growth. It is not fair to him and will only hurt him in the future. But, there are two things that my family is giving me a hard time about which is her sucking her thumb(she only does this when she is tired) and her holding her doggy (also only holds when she is tired and sleepy). My husband and her godmother is constantly telling her "get that thumb out your mouth you are not a baby"...."you know you can't take that dog to school when you go". But I have got news for them when she starts school at least until she gets used to the surroundings I am letting her take her doggy...there is nothing wrong with her having it in her bookbag and when she gets scared she can take him out...... She is an only child and she looks at this dog as her sibling and friend.
    firsttimemom496

Answer by firsttimemom496 at 11:21 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• Its normal for you to have a great relationship with your son, But dear he is not going to excel without some independence, let him be a child without mommy looking at him 24-7 shoving a bottle in his mouth, Its time to let the bottle go, Its not good for their teeth around this time at all and that goes the same for the Binky your showing your child how to gain habits instead of activities which he needs right now, taking him to a park letting him know he can play without his bottle or Binky is a good idea, I promise you he is not going get married tomorrow so let him be a kid without being so over protective,

LexsiesMommy

Answer by LexsiesMommy at 11:32 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• No I can still have baby's but I just dont know how Im going to get pregnant cause my periods come at different times each month so its more complicated now. Also my husband and I are very strong in letting my son self ween from things just like he did nursing. My son stopped breast feeding at 13 months and he weened himself and I think hes starting to ween away from the bottle as well. In the mean time Im just having a hard time watching him grow up so fast, it seems like yesterday that he was still nursing and not walking yet. Im sure everyone would agree with how fast our children grow and some take it fine and others like me get sad about it.
    Anonymous

• continued.... As far as his teeth go Im not worried at all about them rotting cause we brush them every single day and he only has 3 8oz bottles a day cause he wont take cold milk so I give him formula warmed up. He also eats table foods very well and like I said I think hes about to self ween from the bottle so the next step will be the binky which Im not in any hurry to get rid of. Well thank you ladies for all your advice, I feel better knowing that other mothers share my feelings.
    Anonymous