Just cut my hair short. Need styling tips!

I just cut my hair to my shoulders and had layers put in. My hair is super thick and doesn't really lay straight. It tends to flip out and look wavy, although not a pretty wavy. I have the little attachment for my hair dryer and have try to dry it in sections, but it doesn't always work. Any other tips to get my hair to straighten out a bit and curl under? My stylist did a great job styling it after she cut it the other day, but I am never able to replicate what she does. lol Also, she puts something on my hair so it doesn't look frizzy. I forgot to ask what it is, but is there something similar that I would able to buy at the store?

Journey311

Asked by Journey311 at 4:24 PM on Sep. 25, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• otherwise

try a thermal protectant spray or gel to help with the frizz.. apply before blow drying.

a finishing spray can also help with the frizz
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 9:24 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• You should go back to your stylist and ask her what products she's using in your hair.
    PhoenixFire

Answer by PhoenixFire at 4:27 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Sounds like you and I have very similar hair! lol! One of my favorite things to do when my hair is short is to do the messy waves look. Right after I get out of the shower and towel dry my hair, I spray Garnier Fructis curl shaping gel all over it. Then I take my blowdryer and the diffuser attachment and blow dry my hair upside-down. Don't brush your hair out, just take the dryer to it. Also, don't use your fingers, it causes it to get frizzy. When your hair is close to being completely dry, fill your palm full of mouse and spread it through your hair and dry it and flip your head back right-side up. :)
    things_not_sane

Answer by things_not_sane at 4:41 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• one: blow dry DOWN the hair shaft with the attachmen tand a round brush (use a vent brush or paddle brush if it's more comfortable for you), in sections.

two, infest in a flat iron

three: you can typically go to jcpennies and ask about the professional hair care products they sell their. I believe they have Redkin, and other popular salon brands. Most store clerks can assist you or see if they have an instore salon and ask them what would be best for your hair type.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 9:23 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• next time you get your haircut, make sure you ask her to explain what she is doing step-by-step. i have really thick hair too, so i get mine thinned out a lot. a straightener does GREAT!
    gracefulsky

Answer by gracefulsky at 4:40 PM on Sep. 25, 2010