Toddlers and Pumpkin Carving?

What are some ideas for carving/decorating a pumpkin with your toddler? How do you keep it safe while still involving them (since toddlers can't do the actual carving, of course)?

Cafe Cynthia

Asked by Cafe Cynthia at 11:06 AM on Oct. 21, 2008 in Hobbies & Crafts

• Let them scoop out the "guts"....draw on the face that you are going to cut out....set the light inside
    Kimebs

Answer by Kimebs at 11:11 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• We've been thinking of using a sharpee marker and just drawing our pumpking this year!
    babyjakesmama

Answer by babyjakesmama at 11:23 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• At Walmart they have pieces similar to a Mr. Potato Head that you can stick into a pumpkin to make a face.
    MommyJaime

Answer by MommyJaime at 11:51 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• We always let our kids paint on the pumpkins until they were old enough to carve.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 12:28 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• let them scoop if you HAVE TO cut it. but they love to paint or stick things to it...
    lovinallofthem

Answer by lovinallofthem at 5:00 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• I would gut it even f yo do plan on just sticking stuff to it. The GUTS are the BEST part! lol
    momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 9:31 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• Well I have a 3 year old and a 22 month old- I just picked up some craft paint and I am going to let them paint faces on the pumpkins. I figured this way they could safely participate in decorating and I will be able to still use the pumpkins for cooking and baking as well.
    BabyBeans0506

Answer by BabyBeans0506 at 3:40 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

• I let my 3 year old daughter use her Mr. Potato Head pieces to make faces (her dad poked holes where the pieces needed to go), then I gave her markers to draw on it with. She loved it! It was easy, fun and safe!
    ProudAFMamaof2

Answer by ProudAFMamaof2 at 5:15 PM on Oct. 28, 2008