Dropping out

So I am in my friends /co-workers wedding this November. I have tried telling her I couldn't afford it twice. Mine you I have had a year to save. My bf had been layed off and things were tight. Well, he got a job but was unable to keep it so now he is unemployeed and I am the only one working. I can not afford to pay $110 for her bridal shower, $110 for tuxedo, &$70 for the reminder of my dress. So my quesiton is would you be mad and end your friendship over this? Or would you understand?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:02 PM on Sep. 25, 2010 in Relationships

• i would understand if it was my wedding. of course i'm broke as a joke too.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 5:04 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• You had a year to save and you are just now deciding that you can't be in the wedding? I would be rather upset about it honestly.. But I wouldn't end the friendship over the issue. I would tell your friend that whoever replaces you can have your dress, and just pay the remaining balance on it.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 5:04 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• If it were my friend, I would be furious if she dropped out of my wedding. I would rather help her pay for everything than have her not be part of it.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 5:06 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• As a bride, I would be mad because it's a pain to find someone else. As a friend, I would understand that the expense is forcing you to choose to be a part of it or have groceries. This wouldn't make me "unfriend" someone. Why would you need to spend so much on a Bridal shower is my question!

silversmom

Answer by silversmom at 5:06 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• i don't think i would. especially if i knew she was struggling. my friends mean more to mean.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 5:07 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I had saved and helped pick the place, buy her lunch while going over the details of every part of her wedding, pitched in for the decorations for the bridal shower, help make them, but now things changed. I got sick and just had to have emergency surgery so that was an unexpected bill. I might be able to still be in the wedding if my bf finds a job very soon. However the bridal shower that the bridesmaids all have to pay for is October 2 and this all just happen within the last two weeks. I don't want to borrow any money for that party and become in debt is that wrong of me. I fell super bad about this already

mum1

Answer by mum1 at 5:12 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Things happen. Hopefully there is enough time for her to find a replacement without making that person feel like 2nd best. Could you possibly borrow enough to cover the cost of your dress? If she's a true friend, which I would assume she is since you were asked to be in her wedding, she will understand. Hope you find a way to work it out.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 5:13 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• The bridal shower is for 50+ guest and we are paying for the food and drinks plus we need to bring a game and a prize

mum1

Answer by mum1 at 5:16 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• You have tried talking to her, she isn't listening. She should be listening.
    I wouldn't end the friendship. But, I'm not the type to have it all about me, either. Even a wedding. She really should be a little more understanding here.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 6:36 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I would be upset, but I wouldn't end a friendship over it. If I could I would offer to help pay for stuff and if not I'd have to understand that you can't afford it. I hope your friend is as understanding.
    nicenround

Answer by nicenround at 7:01 PM on Sep. 25, 2010