Recommendations for activity centers / activity mats, etc., for 5 month old

I have a 5 month old that I adopted at two months old (he was born premature, so I adopted him right at his release from the NICU.) ECI is coming to the house now for some interventions with him. So far he seems to be doing wonderfully, except for two things -- keeps his hands in a fist too much of the time ("fisting"), and can't yet reach out and grab things and bring them to his mouth very well. (Which is a real bummer, since he's teething and I really wish he could grasp/hold a teething ring to his mouth.)

Anyway, I got him a jumper -- not one of those where it hooks on to a door frame, but rather one that's on the ground. The ECI therapist is not crazy about the jumpers, though. I've gone on Amazon to find other things he can sit/stand upright in and play, but there are so many!! What have you guys used with your 5-8 month olds that they loved? Also if you have recs for tummy-time helpers, b/c he hates tummy time. :(

Jill97

Asked by Jill97 at 5:25 PM on Sep. 25, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Did they show you any physical therapy to do with his hands to get him loosened up? My babies have one of those jumpers and loved it. I would spend a little bit more money and get those larger Baby Einstien floor mat gym activity centers. Just keep up with tummy time, he needs it. Even if he yells and screams, his muscles need that exercise!!
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 5:35 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000TFGUCI/sr=8-26/qid=1285450909/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&qid=1285450909&sr=8-26&seller=

This is a really good mat and can be found a lot cheaper.  Since you can change it up it keeps them interested.  A good way to help with grasping is to put toys slightly out of reach so he has to reach out for them.  You can lay face to face on your belly during his tummy time so that he has to hold his head up to look at you and that can help him build muscle.

rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 5:47 PM on Sep. 25, 2010