Bedtime Routine for a 5-month old?

Hi All. I'm hoping to get some examples of bedtime routines, or rituals, that you do or did with your babies, to help signify to them that it's time to go to bed for the night. I was thinking that bedtime routines were for older kids, say a year old or so, but I just heard about establishing a routine for your infant too.

For a few weeks now, my son had been sleeping a good 8-10 hours at night, from somewhere around midnight each night to around 9:30 a.m., with just needing to be patted, rewrapped, given a pacifer, etc. around 6:00 or 6:30 a.m. But recently he is much more restless at night now, over night, and I have to get up many times to pat, rewrap (he's still swaddled), rub, etc.

Any ideas on bedtime routines for babies this young, or reasons for sudden night restlessness? He has recently begun teething too.

Jill97

Asked by Jill97 at 5:30 PM on Sep. 25, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• start eairly on the routines and don't let anyone mess them up for you that is forsure but other then that bed time i would say what i first did was give my son a bottle 30 min. before bed put on some classical music and then by 7 30 he was off to bed and would sleep through the night... but like i said stick with it and be stearn.
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 5:36 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I would say teething is the reason, that hurts and makes it difficult to sleep. A little extra comfort but don't go over board or he will begin to expect it, if he is really in pain try a little tylenol.
    With my kids we brushed their teeth, diaper change, PJ's, read a very short book, then I would nurse them to sleep and off to bed. If mine woke up from teething and I was giving them pain meds in the day time I would give her some at night. Keep the food on the same schedule regardless of how many times he wakes up, or he will get used to being fed more at night. A little extra love like you are doing should be just fine, after the tooth break throw he should sleep again just fine.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 5:55 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I just used to bath my daughter using lavender baby wash about 30 min before bed. Then gave her a bottlle
    momma_alie20

Answer by momma_alie20 at 6:40 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• We had the same problem with our son around 4 months. Our routine at night is: give him a bath with lavender wash (keep the lights dim the whole time), put lavender lotion on him after his bath, give him his last bottle. We have done this routine since day 1. But when he started having issues and waking up in the middle of the night we figured out it was because he was not getting enough sleep during the day. If may take a few weeks, but try to get him on a routine during the day with at least 2-3 naps. He is also teething but if he is well rested during the day he doesn't wake up at night. Good luck!
    Lisa.Price

Answer by Lisa.Price at 9:36 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• For my 2 month old at 8:00 I breastfeed her, then read her 2 books, sing a song, and then lay her down in her crib. I wake her at 10 to nurse her right before I go to bed, then she sleeps until 6:30-7am.

Answer by missanc at 9:37 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• My daughter is almost 8 months old, and around the 4 month mark she started waking up at night wanting comfort as well. It seemed to escalate around 5 months (waking up every hour) and calmed back down around 6 months. She still wakes up at least once a night wanting her paci back. The reason your baby is waking up could be due to growth spurts, teething, hitting new milestones, etc, but a good bedtime routine always helps!

The bedtime routine for my daughter is a shower with mommy using the lavendar body wash and shampoo. PJs and cuddles with daddy. One last nursing and then bed. I stopped swaddling her around 6 months, but when I did swaddle I always swaddled her before I nursed her. I play music softly all night and have the overhead fan going. She also has a "lovey" that she sleeps with. It's one of those stuffed animals with a blanket. The hardest part of all that is keeping her big brother quiet. lol
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 10:28 PM on Sep. 25, 2010