So how would you feel from a parents point of view

I had my sons 8th b-day party today. I decided to do a bowling party instead of one at our house. I usually do ones at my house. I only let him invite 9 kids due to the cost. out of those 9 only 2 showed up. He split the guest list down the middle with 4 being from his class last year and 4 from his class this year and then one friend that had moved away. I handed out the invitations individually since you can't hand them out at school. I am to the point that if he gets invited to a birthday this year I am not going to let him go. He states that its ok he only really wanted the two that came to be the ones that came. He says he's not upset or disappointed. I know a little of how i feel is just me. Just wondering how other moms would feel.

sonsmom

Asked by sonsmom at 5:39 PM on Sep. 25, 2010 in General Parenting

• He sounds like a brave little man lol. I would prolly feel the same, but I would also want some answers. I mean if you went through all that trouble, the least you deserve is an answer as to why they did not come. Oh and an idea for the future? You can also see about making it an RSVP and do it a month in advance? That way you can KNOW who is coming
    mama408

Answer by mama408 at 5:42 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Did the others say they were coming? If you had 8 RSVPs and then only 2 showed I would be upset. But if they didn't say they were coming I wouldn't see the reason to be upset. Parents may have had other plans, things come up, or they simply couldn't come. What should matter is that your son had fun with the ones that did come.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:42 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• no one came to my daughters party last year...... meh. i'll still let my girls go to their friends parties. i'm not going to keep my kids from having fun. if he said he's fine with it, and if those 2 friends showed up, then he has 2 really good friends. thats not a bad thing.
    gracefulsky

Answer by gracefulsky at 5:43 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• as long as my child wasn't upset, then i wouldn't let it bother me.

as for not letting him go to a party if he's invited because no one came to his - well, that's petty and immature.
    MommyToEthan

Answer by MommyToEthan at 5:44 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• That would be discouraging for me, and no-one showing up is my biggest fear when throwing a b-day party (esp. since I am not as familiar with dd's friends' parents as they are w/eachother...I work and most of them are SAHM who get together quite a bit).
    stringtheory

Answer by stringtheory at 5:44 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• nope know one RSVP I did ask for them to but they didn't. In the past I've asked for RSVP's and no one would usually do that. My past experience with this group of parents has always been no RSVP but they just show up. He is a brave little man.
    sonsmom

Comment by sonsmom (original poster) at 5:44 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Did you ask for an RSVP?
    Did you follow up with a call to see?
    Did you give the invitations to kids or parents?
    What other activities could be going on during the party time?
    Is bowling unpopular?
    Why would you deprive your son of a birthday party, because you are upset.
    It sounds like your son is handling it in a mature manner and trying to protect you.
    This is the roll you need to take.
    JMHO
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 5:47 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• And I can understand you're feelings. You're the one who put in the effort to handout the invites and everything else. & we all want our kids to have a Great birthday because they & it are so special to us.

Some kids, they really don't get all wrapped up in the whole birthday nearly as much as their parents do. LOL Your son maybe one of those kids. I know my son was. He never really wanted big birthday to do's, going out with family to do something fun, or just having A friend accompany us, was his idea of a great birthday. He just wasn't ever into the whole big party, with lots of people, and all that goes with it.

Your son maybe like that. He may just be a great kid who put on a brave face and enjoyed himself despite what was going on. Either way, he sounds like a good kid.

I would do this.If he wanted to attend a party , I would let him. If he just isn't interested in atttending any, then I would let him be
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 5:49 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• It sounds like it is okay. Next time follow up if no one RSVPs. Let it go.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 5:54 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Thanks everyone. He is a great kid. I know it more me being disappointed then him and no i really wouldn't deprive him of going to other kids birthdays if he gets invited. That is all part of being a kid. I guess i was wanting to vent and just get my feelings off my chest. I did ask for them to RSVP and I did hand out the invitations personally plus i emailed some parents (the ones i have their phone numbers for) in the middle of the week. I realize parents have things going on that they just can't make it work for their kids to do a birthday party also. I know all this it was just at this moment i am just a little disappointed in how it all turned out.
    sonsmom

Comment by sonsmom (original poster) at 5:56 PM on Sep. 25, 2010