How can I get my 3 year old to potty train??

My daughter is very smart but refuses to use the potty. She is not afraid of it and we have a training potty. One that sings and one that does not. We have done a potty chart, rewards, praise, I feel like we have tried everything. Please help! I cannot afford more diapers and pull ups

maryevans

Asked by maryevans at 5:52 PM on Sep. 25, 2010 in General Parenting

• I was in the same situation my DD was potty trained 4 months after she turned 3 and it only took one day. I had literaly no money to buy diapers so i explained it to her i told her it was potty time and i gave her a sippy with water and sat her on her potty and told her she couldnt get up until she went pee pee and when she did i would give her a m&m. After about 15 min she peed i gave her an M&M and that was that she was potty trained. She may just not want to do it so you need to be the boss and tell her its potty time mommy says you have to go pee pee.
    AWebber212

Answer by AWebber212 at 6:15 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• stop buying diapers and pullups . it only confuses her. let her pick out her own underwear. then let her pick put her own potty. we have an elmo one it sings in both english and spanish. it also praises when they use it. we bought one for my grandson. she maybe comfortable being wet. my grandson was. it didnt take long we set him on it in the morning when he first got up. then we did a potty dance.
    stressedoutgran

Answer by stressedoutgran at 6:30 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• That's true...my daughter was potty trained during the day, I put a Pull-up on her at night, and you could see her pee in it in the morning! You'd have to be watching closely... Sure enough, though, underpants at night, no accidents!

mp3mom

Answer by mp3mom at 8:07 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I'm having the same difficulty with my 3 year old. We are trying the chart/stickers now. He is still not interested! And I'm trying to avoid the power struggle, but we have tried almost everything (I haven't resorted to egg timer yet like we did with his older brother!) Just wanted to let you know you are not alone.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 11:14 AM on Sep. 26, 2010