Pox-party anyone?

Would you deliberately expose your child to the chicken pox? Why or why not?

Gal51

Asked by Gal51 at 6:05 PM on Sep. 25, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• Yes. In fact my DH and I just had this conversation the other day. We would like to wait one more year and a half or so to expose them because we want the baby to be at least a year first... But without doubt we want to expose them young. It's the healthiest option, allowing them to build natural antibodies and a stronger immune system. It also puts them at a much lower risk for contracting the illness later in life when it carries higher risks. So yes, we would not only expose our children but have even gone so far as to talk to friends and family with children so that when the time comes and someone does come in contact we know who to have over for a traditional "pox party."

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:54 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• No my kids had the chicken pox vaccine (varicella)
    AWebber212

Answer by AWebber212 at 6:08 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Hell no. That is sick. That is what vaccinations are for!
    savannah85w2

Answer by savannah85w2 at 6:26 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• My mom did!!

She wanted us to get it before we went to school. Now, keep in mind that this was before the vaccine. She knew we were most likely going to get it anyway, back then, you really couldn't stop it. She volunteered to watch kids who had it so we would catch it prior to kindergarten so that we would not miss so much school.

layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:37 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Yes, I would. They were quite common when I was a kid and I hear they're making a comeback.

I'd rather have my kids get the actual chicken pox than get the vaccination. The whole reason the vaccine even came about is because a study was done that determined moms were missing work due to having to stay home to care for their kids when they got the chicken pox so some bonehead got the idea to develop a vaccine against it. It is a common childhood disease; one that does not need vaccinating against, imo.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 6:38 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I'm surprised someone would find it disturbing, it used to be pretty common. I'd say that especially with the vaccine so common, if my dd didn't have the vaccine, I would get her together with someone who has chxpox just becuase it isn't going to be easy for her to get anymore (with everyone else vaccinated) and it is much more dangerous to get as an adult or even an older teen...I'm worried the vaccine won't last until that age as it is...
    stringtheory

Answer by stringtheory at 6:43 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• No I would not. I've never had the chicken pox. If I got it it could be very bad for my health. My DD got the vaccine. I'm pregnant now and he/she will be vaccinated against it too.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 6:53 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I have actually been looking for anyone who has the chicken pox and I will gladly invite them over to spend the day loving my kids. Unfortunately, I can't find anyone with the chicken pox.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 8:20 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• No, and I just find that disturbing.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 6:29 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• "I'd rather have my kids get the actual chicken pox than get the vaccination."

Why on Earth would you want your child to get sick instead? Have you ever had chicken pox? I did. I was miserable and only had it mildly. Lots of kids had it really bad....some even died. You would wish this for your child rather than giving them a simple vaccine? And remember, if you don't have the vaccine and you don't get sick as a child, it can kill you as an adult.
    connorsmom1970

Answer by connorsmom1970 at 8:12 PM on Sep. 25, 2010