help help help....vaccines

ok my daughter is going to her 2 month check up on monday and i was reading up on the vaccines that are recommended at 2 months and to be blunt, they scare the shit out of me. the side effects just sound awful and also long term i'm wondering if they will effect her...please tell me which vaccines are completely necessary and which ones can be done away with and why....the list of vaccines are Hep B, DTP, HIE, PCV, Polio, and Rotavirus

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:06 PM on Sep. 25, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Do you want her to get any of those things? Just vaccinate her....My children have had all of theirs...and they only would get a light fever and pain at the injection sight. Tylenol fixes both of those things! Dont worry!
    LuvMyMedic3ID

Answer by LuvMyMedic3ID at 6:10 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• ok first off, yea they can scare you but it is a RARE amount of children who really suffer the side effects. All three of my kids have only had a slight fever and a bump where the needle was, but all three of them have come out of getting them no worse for wear. Not to mention it depends on the state, but I think you can end up losing your child if you let them get too far behind on their vaccines or something. That was the scare I had when I was trying to get my kids medicaid back cause can't afford the visits or shots otherwise lol
    mama408

Answer by mama408 at 6:11 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Do what you think is best for your child.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 6:18 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• They wont take your kids away from choosing not to vaccinate them. That is a crock.
    Anyway, to help me sleep at night, I space my son's out and only get the ones I feel ar e necessary.
    Hep B- He has still not received (he is two) Hep B can only be transmitted by exchange of body fluids. I dont see him having sex or sharing needles any time soon.
    DTaP- Pertussis is whooping cough so very important. When my son gets this one it is the only one he gets that month as it is a combo vaccine (3 in 1 and now I think they have added chicken pox to it. So check to be sure. I am not comfortable with any 4 in 1s)
    Rotavirus- is taken orally so I let them give that one+one regular shot in one visit.
    IVP (polio)-Is important to get but I postponed this one as my son doesn't go to daycare and isn't exposed to people who travel to foreign countries.
    HIB-protects against kinds of meningitis which is very dangerous to babies.CONT
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 6:20 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• HIB CONTD- and the vaccine doses are not reccomended after age 5. Because of this, it is best to start early. I would consider doing HIB or PCV and Rotavirus this visit and then scheduling each other important vaccine a month or more after with at least a month in between them.
    PCV- Another vaccine for meningitis. See above.

This is just what helps ME sleep at night while making what seems to be a lose-lose situation. I really wish they offered singles of the combo vaccines or I would suggest doing the Pertussis first. The fact that is so many chemicals rolled into one makes me really uneasy. Just prioritize and consider your childs risks of the diseases the shots treat then get them accordingly.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 6:26 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• You can always split them up into multiple visits. I never saw the reasoning for pumping them full of vax all at one time.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:35 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• They need to tell you all of the possible side effects, but they are rare. Keep in mind that ANYTHING you give your child can cause a reaction, including tylenol and a lot of foods. Those reactions are scary as well.
    You need to decide for yourself.
    I know there are a lot of people who will tell you all sorts of scary stories, and they can be true, but anything in life is a risk. You just need to determine what is worth taking.
    My 11 year old has autism. When I had my now 1 year old, a lot of people tried to convince me that I should not get my baby vaccinated. I personally do not believe that vaccines cause autism, but that's a different thread. Anyway, I do a lot of historical research in the area of geneology for my family as well as friends. The disease that we vaccinate against have killed many children. I'd rather have my child alive then watch one contract a disease and die when I could have stopped it.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:35 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Not vaxing at all is an option and the state can't do anything about it. I personally think it is better to have your child protected... That being said I completely understand selective and delayed vax. I wish I had known about that when mine were small. It makes so much more sense to me to not give 4-6 vax at once. I wish I had done 1-2 at atime and gone back for the rest.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:37 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I would say vaccinate her... the ONLY vaccine I encountered problems with was the chicken pox vaccine... that made my daughter have seizures and quit breathing... so thats the only one Im completely against
    momma_alie20

Answer by momma_alie20 at 6:38 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• If you contact the CDC and get THEIR statistics, you will find that they see an average of 1 in 6 children being injured in some way from vaccines, and those are only the ones which report it and which show short term symptoms. There is no way to figure in those who's reactions don't occur until later on in life. My personal vaccine research took years, and started because of my experiences with vaccine injuries.

The facts are this - NONE of the vaccines are legally required and regardless of what you will be told you can not be denyed schooling because of lack of vaccines. BOTH sides of the argument carry some risks. And the rate of illness, infection and childhood death is LOWER in children who are not vaccinated.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:44 PM on Sep. 25, 2010