Kindergarten... full or half day?

Which do you prefer for your kids and why?

Also would you pay extra for your child to go to full day?

SleepingBeautee

Asked by SleepingBeautee at 6:09 PM on Sep. 25, 2010 in

• I like full day- it gives them a chance to learn and socialize all day, but that's just me....
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 6:15 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I think I prefer full day.
    We have both in our city. It depends on the school.
    Some of the schools have both. They test to see which to put the child in.
    The ones that need more work get the full day.
    There are parents that send thier kids to public a half day and private the other half.
    There are others who opt for private so they can go all day
    There is so much to learn and kids are expected to know so much when they get to kindergarten.

But back to your question. Most kids in our area have been going to preschool for three half days a week for one year and five half days a week for a year. They are ready for full day kindergarten.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 6:18 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Full day for me, cause not only do they learn more, but that also gives me the chance to get the house clean and know what to make for dinner lol
    mama408

Answer by mama408 at 6:16 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I would pay for a full day, just for the social interactions and getting a head start with the basics
    soccerfanatic14

Answer by soccerfanatic14 at 6:26 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• My 2 oldest all went to 1/2 day kindergarten programs. My 3rd is in a 1/2 day kindergarten now. My 4th will be next year.

I much prefer half day kindergarten. It saves money for our school system, is a nice transition for the children into school, allows them time to just be kids and play/rest/relax. They learn the same as they do in the full-day programs.

They'll be in school full-days soon enough. There's no need to push them to grow up faster and faster.
    Gaccck

Answer by Gaccck at 10:28 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Our schools only do half aday. I think that most of the kids could handle full day. I believe it would do them more good if they had full days. I personally wouldn't pay for them to attend full day.
    momofangels5

Answer by momofangels5 at 6:17 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Yes, I would pay extra for a good full day program.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 6:19 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I've worked as an aide in both full day and half day programs. They don't learn more in the full day. It's all the same. Just in the full day they have recess, luncj, and rest time. (like they ever rest) They just have more social time. In my town they have both full and half day programs. If you want your child in full day their name goes into a lottery. Both of my kids went to half day. I thimkfull day is too much for them at that age. My oldet wouldn't have done well in it. My youngest could've probably but my husband and I worked opposite shifts then so we didn't have to pay for day care.
    Shell89

Answer by Shell89 at 6:29 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Our school only has full day classes. And I think I like it better because the kids have more time to learn, interact with other kids and socialize.
    mysevenkids

Answer by mysevenkids at 6:32 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Half day, for sure
    snivic

Answer by snivic at 11:29 AM on Sep. 27, 2010