Is it possible for me to trim my own hair?

I just want to take a little bit off the ends.... it looks so dry I thinkg maybe this will help, since it might be dead/split ends. What do you think? Be honest, can I do this or am I asking for trouble. I have a decent pair of hair scissors I use for the kid's bangs........ I am growing mine out long but wonder if I should get a little trim.

science_spot

Asked by science_spot at 6:27 PM on Sep. 25, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• possible yes, but I can't tell you if you'll succeed in doing a good or proper job. It's best to just go to a salon and get a quick trim up.

If you go to a local beauty school it can run as cheap as 5-10 dollars.

chances are unless you've been to school for hair cutting, you are going to end up with an uneven cut. So like I said, it's best to just see a stylist.

Besides.. what you deem okay scissors are probably NOT good hair cutting scissors and may only create more split ends. Don't cut dry either.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 9:06 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I usually trim my own hair. If you want to do it, be prepared for the possibility that you will need help to fix it or that it won't be perfect.
    tyheamma

Answer by tyheamma at 7:05 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• You could do around your face, but there is no way to trim the back of your hair and get it even. Trust me. I am a hair stylist who has tried to trim the back of my own hair more than once. Always have to have another stylist fix it.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 6:28 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Go for it. Anything is possible.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 6:30 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Go for it
    momma_alie20

Answer by momma_alie20 at 6:33 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• For those with long hair a friend taught me a trick. I have mine layered and I simply get my hair wet and flip my head over and cut straight across. It comes out nice and layered in the back and usually pretty straight.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:04 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• and if hair is damaged try a protein treatment. You can try doing a home made recipe:

1 egg
    mayo
    olive oil

(mix together.. apply to hair, mostly ends, place bag over hair (not entire head) to allow the heat from your scalp to keep it warm, and let sit for 10-15 mins, then wash hair as normal).
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 9:08 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• i have trim my on hair before and it looks ok to me.
    ladybug36519

Answer by ladybug36519 at 4:06 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Yes it is possible to trim your own hair. I had a friend in junior high that would hold her head upside down over a trash can so her hair would fall in it when she cut it. She would do this at school all the time. Did a pretty good job.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 6:29 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• if it's long enough to hold all the way up, i honestly just hold mine to the side and give it a little trim, no more than an eighth of an inch would be alright
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 6:50 PM on Sep. 25, 2010