What do you use to keep your house smelling clean and fresh?

I've always used all kinds of nice smelly products. But now I'm wondering how bad they are for us to be breathing in???? I like to walk into my house and be greeted with a nice pleasant smell, not one of what I recently cooked or some other no so pleasant smell.

QandA

Asked by QandA at 6:50 PM on Sep. 25, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I hate cinnamon, but my aunt loves it and she keeps cinnamon on the stove with a little bit of water and low low low heat throughout the day and the house smells cinnamony and stuff. I like candles, you can buy organic candles. You can hang nice herbs around your house, I keep fresh lavendar by my bed.
    gottalovemal

Answer by gottalovemal at 6:53 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I have air fresheners..like the air wick fresh matic or i just burn a nice smelling candle or those oils you put a candle under

Now that it's fall I think the best way to keep it smelling good is keeping the doors and windows open letting fresh air in
    Smiley001

Answer by Smiley001 at 6:55 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I also don't like all the sprays/candles/plug ins that put who knows what in the air. I use PartyLite candles, they burn cleaner than any other candle I have found and also guaranteed lead free wick. I love their new holiday smells, but my favorites are still the vanilla-like scents. Also, I have heard, dabbing a bit of your favorite perfume on the light bulbs in a room will make the room smell like that scent when you turn on the lights. I haven't tried it.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 8:44 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I use the spray Fabulous on my carpet before I vacuum and use a febreeze plug in in one room I also try to do my dishes as soon as they are there and take the trash out as soon as it is full.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:53 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I burn lots of candles and I have the plug in scents from Bath and Body Works in the bathrooms.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 6:53 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I love cleaning products like Clorox Green Works because they smell so good without being harsh. After I use the "harsh" stuff (if necessary), I'll go over things lightly with some Green Works to get rid of the heavy bleach-y smells. I also like to keep a Bath & Body Works room spray in my kitchen so if someone is showing up at my house on short notice and it smells like cooking smells, I can give a quick spritz to get rid of it. I like the clean smells like Linen, Bamboo, etc because they don't smell over-perfumey. At Christmas time, I use scented oil warmers in a few rooms and use seperate smells in different rooms like sugar cookies in the kitchen, cinnamon in the bedroom, pine in the bathroom, etc....combined it makes the whole house smell awesome!! I'm kind of obsessed with my house smelling good. Haha :)
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 6:54 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Pinesol is a wonderful clean smell.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 6:58 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I use ODOBAN. It was recommended to me by my carpet cleaning guys. They sell it at Sam's. Walmart used to sell it but not sure they still do.

Answer by admckenzie at 6:58 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I have a lot of artificial plants in my home for decor and I have a brown thumb, so I buy those little bottles of scented oil and they come with a dropper (like a tiny turkey baster) and I just put some on the leafs and no matter where you go it just smells pleasant.

zbee

Answer by zbee at 6:59 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Oh, and I keep cheap Maxwell House coffee filter packs in the fridge so that if I need a super quick fix, I toss one in the coffee maker, put a couple drops of vanilla extract on top of it, and brew a small pot. It is an instant fix - makes the house smell amazing, like you've been baking and serving espresso all day! ;-)
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 6:59 PM on Sep. 25, 2010