Do you allow your kids to help with picking the name?

Do your kids have any say so on their brother/sisters name? I've been thinking of this. I think I'll set my DD down at the pc and let her go through the baby names to choose what she likes. Then compare it to ours and see if she can at least contribute to a middle name. It makes her more involved and I think she'd enjoy that.

SalemWitchChild

Asked by SalemWitchChild at 6:57 PM on Sep. 25, 2010 in Baby Names

• Help is good. But you and husband have the final say. As always.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 6:59 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Our oldest is 4, he wants to name the new baby "Pollmy" (I'm not sure where he came up with that...) So, needless to say, we aren't going with his suggestion. But I think if they were older, we would get their opinions on names and whatnot... At this point, I would be happy to simply get my DH to talk names.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:59 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• That's great!! I have 7 kids aged from 22 to 5 and I'm pregnant with number 8.. So they do have a say, but we ended up choosing the name because the kids had SO many ideas..!
    mysevenkids

Answer by mysevenkids at 6:59 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I would consider it once my kids are older. But at the moment, my oldest is 3-1/2 and she named our cat "Meow"...so...I'm afraid a new baby would end up named "Baby" or "Waaaah". LOL
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 7:02 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• depends on what they want it to be lol. Right now my 5 year old is into Hannah Montana so she says to me mommy if you have another baby I want you to name it Hannah Montana lol.But now when she was 2.5 DH and I liked the name Jenna and Madison we new the middle name was going to be Nichole. I like Madison better and DH liked Jenna better so we asked our DD do you like Madison or Jenna better for your baby sister? She said Madison so that is what her name was. I would probably give them choices, but as far as picking out the name themselves probably not cause I don't want my child named after a singer lol
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 7:03 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Yeah, we are having a girl... Thank the Gods... If it was a boy my DH wanted to name him Ralph Scott (Ummm... NO!)
    But, now he won't even give me an opinion about girl names... At the same time he hates everything I pick out... And I'm VERY picky!

Not fun!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:04 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• We have let them decide and help pick names.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 7:04 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Yes, I only have two, but wanted my DD to be a part of her new brother.

zbee

Answer by zbee at 7:35 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I named my son. My son named my oldest daughter and he and his dad named my youngest daughter

Answer by admckenzie at 7:00 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Sabrina I don't blame you! lol. For a girl the name is already picked so no changing it. But for a boy we are open to suggestions. She's 8 so I'm sure she can pick usable names. ;) And yes, Dh and I have final say.
    SalemWitchChild

Comment by SalemWitchChild (original poster) at 7:01 PM on Sep. 25, 2010