Speech Therapy

OK I am kinda nervous and scared. My oldest daughter has to go through speech therapy, and the person is going to come here to the house. Well I have never had that problem before with speech therapy, I didn't even go through it, so I was wondering is there any reason to be scared? My husband and mother in law keep making it sound as if the woman will take one look at the house and point a finger going "UNCLEAN" and take her and the twins away from us. Just asking

mama408

Asked by mama408 at 7:02 PM on Sep. 25, 2010 in Kids' Health

• In home therapists, like any other medical professional, are obligated reporters, which means that if they suspect abuse or neglect, they must report it, but unless your house is totally disgusting, they honestly don't care what it looks like. They expect to see toys on the floor or a basket of laundry or dishes in the sink, etc. You know, typical things that say "somebody lives in this house with children".
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 7:06 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• My son's ST came to the house for the first year. It was wonderful. She sat and worked with him right with me there. She would help me to help him while she wasn't here and show me different things I could do to help him between her visits. And no, there is no house more unorganized and messy than mine. There were days we had to clean her a spot on the floor because the kids had literally dumped the toys and videos everywhere... There was never an issue with that kind of thing. As long as your house isn't totally filthy with bugs, mold and rodents all over the place they aren't going to take your kids... Normal General housecleaning is more than enough...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:07 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• NO WAY! There is nothing to be scared about. Be happy that she is receiving help and IN YOUR HOME how convienient!

My dd has had in home speech since she was 18 months old. They are not concerned with your home...just your child and their progress.

Now if they walked in and there were used syringes or feces all over or something horrible like that...hahahahahah...but just a normal house....no way!!!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 7:08 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I would never even think that but i would make sure my house was spotless when they got there but that's just how I am. I don't like others seeing a mess. no dirty dishes in the sink or anything. The floor has to be swept and clean and toys can't be everywhere but a few is ok.
    Smiley001

Answer by Smiley001 at 7:18 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Please tell your husband and mother-in-law to relax. And you relax, too, dear. The ST is not going to cart your children away if your house is not spotless. You live there with small children. The PPs above are correct -- as long as your home is not filthy to the point of being unhealthy or unsafe, the ST won't bat an eye. I promise you, she's seen worse.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 7:39 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Unless your house is something out of Hoarders, don't worry. I did in home behavior therapy for several years We were not concerned about the house as much as the child. Now, if it was dangerously unsanitary, then yes, but everyday clutter and dust--no!!
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 8:04 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Why do you ask?
    Radarma

Answer by Radarma at 12:19 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• most of the time they want to come in to see how you interact with your child so they can see if they can determine the cause of the speech delay (if it's lack of parent to child interaction, or something deeper like a mental disorder, etc).

If they see obvious signs of neglect, abuse, drugs, etc, they will report it, but that's not necessarily why they are there.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:26 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• We've had both speech and occupational therapists in my house no less than twice a week. Neither have ever made a comment about cleanliness, after all they are there to help my little guy not to judge my housekeeping ability.
    Catie_W1015

Answer by Catie_W1015 at 12:42 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• No need to worry unless you are doing something you need to worry about. Three of my four get speech therapy at home. Never been an issue and my house is not exactly tidy.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:08 PM on Sep. 26, 2010