Why is it ok to physically abuse men?

I was watching the preview for this coming week's episode of Teen Mom, and I can not believe Amber punched Gary in the head! She needs to be locked up in a psych ward, and her daughter needs to be taken out of her custody.

My question is this: why is it ok for MTV to show a man being physically abused, but not a woman. If the tables were turned, and it was GARY who punched Amber, there would be outrage and Gary would be in jail.

Any thoughts?

Fallaya

Asked by Fallaya at 7:05 PM on Sep. 25, 2010 in Relationships

• Abuse is never ok, and it's disgusting that TV shows think it's ok to show this. I grew up in a house where my mother regularly tried to beat up my dad, he just took it because he was taught that it's never ok to hit a woman. Why are women not taught the same thing, or something similar at least?
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 7:09 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• It's not ok. Your S/O isn't for smacking around for either man or woman. Physical abuse is never ok, Nor is emotional abuse.

zbee

Answer by zbee at 7:10 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• It is never ok to abuse anyone!

Answer by older at 7:07 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Personally, I don't think it is, but double-standards are the norm in our socieity, so it doesn't surprise me. If I had to hazard a guess as to why it's okay to show it, I would say that it is because men are supposed to be the strong ones and the thought that a woman can beat on or hurt a man is embarrassing to most men because of their need for a macho image, so they treat it like it's no big deal.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 7:09 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• yup , last season she slapped him because he didnt let her father talk down on him or something, yet when snooki got punched in the face it was all omg all over tv n the episode only aired once,

gabby06

Answer by gabby06 at 7:10 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Abuse is abuse. Assault/Battery is a criminal act and should be punished and hope the local Prosecuting Attorney watches & uses the footage as evidence.

Answer by admckenzie at 7:11 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I have no idea but you bring up a good point! Amber is emotionally, verbally, and physically abusive to Gary. I think society is more tolerant of domestic violence toward men and it's NOT cool.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 7:08 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Its not okay. & there area thousands of men each year that suffer from abuse & never say word because they are ashamed. They dont want to admit that their wives or girlfriends beat the crap out of them

Its not okay either way. But I guess because so many women step forward each & every day, they think its just to see a man get the crap beat out of them too. =/

Teen mom is a show for young moms, do the math.. I don't agree with it, but thats the way it is..

Heck I don't even agree with the whole show & haven't watched the first one.. Nor will I sit through it.
    lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 7:11 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I've always had this attitude... I don't have a clue why people see abuse against men as okay or cool... To me, abuse is abuse, regardless of the gender on the receiving end. On the other hand, unless HE were to report it, there isn't anything that is going to be done legally, just like if he were abusing her. Most police won't get involved unless the victim is willing to stand up and accuse the other of abuse. And even in a case where it's on video, most will say it was a one time thing and the abuser gets off anyways. Because men are to afraid of the backlash of accusing a woman of abuse, spousal abuse against men goes largely unreported and ignored... Fair? Hardly! But until the stigmas surrounding the issue are changed, the realities around it won't either.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:12 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I agree! That girl needs SEVERE help!

I hate the double standards in life. A woman should never abuse a man, and a man should never abuse a woman. MTV should not have shown that, and Amber should have charges brought against her.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 7:13 PM on Sep. 25, 2010