My 4 month old has lots of mucus and is sneezing and coughing. Is there anything I can do to alleviate his discomfort?

He sounds congested and I think it scares him when the mucus is in his throat and his nose is cloged with mucus. I've been using the aspirator and have been able to get some of the mucus out but the rest is in his chest. The phlegm is not discolored. I too have been nursing a cold that accompanies all the discomforts he's experiencing. Can his cold get worst?

Karina007

Asked by Karina007 at 11:29 AM on Oct. 21, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Their colds can always get worse and they ussually seem to before they get better. Run a really hot shower with the bathroom door closed and sit in the steam with him. It'll help offer up some relief. Also the Sudafed and Vicks shower tablets work wonders. Hold your baby in your arms in the shower and plop one of those down in the water stream. It'll help with some relief of the breathign issues as well.
    If the cld persists and your concern increases call the doctor.
    tat2edmommyof2

Answer by tat2edmommyof2 at 11:33 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• do you have a humidifier running? that will help both of you. also, you can steam up the bathroom and go in there for about 10 minutes, then wrap him up really warmly and take him outside for a few minutes, the change in temperature will open up his airways. use some vapor rub but don't put directly on his skin, put on his clothes in case he has a reaction to any of the ingredients. poor baby :(
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 11:33 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• humifier, booger sucker, johnsons vapor bath and a little bit of tylenol.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:34 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• Anon 10:34 took all my suggestions...LOL!
    Izzyscrazymom

Answer by Izzyscrazymom at 11:41 AM on Oct. 21, 2008