HOW do I get my just 3 year old to go to bed WITH OUT SCREAMING!!

She screams her head off at bed time and keeps getting up. No crying but freaking out completely. We did the do not engage for a couple of weeks and she was going to sleep by 11:00 or so. Her bed time is 8. Now we are trying spanking when she gets up out of her bed still not talking to her. This has been about a week with no prevail. She was in a toddler bed that we ended up turning to the wall to make it back into a crib at one point but now she can climb out of it so it's back to a bed. Now she is getting up in the middle of the night and sleeping on the couch after we go to bed. (Locks on all doors she is safe) I don't know what else to try...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:41 PM on Sep. 25, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• just stick to your guns...its a battle of the wills for this age group, my daughter was stubborn at bed time but we stuck to our routine, bath,story and bed .....night lights can help ...we put up glow in the dark stars on her ceiling....another thing you might consider is melatonin, it helps you fall asleep , some children dont produce enough of this naturally.....you may also want to limit her sweets and caffeine after say 3/4 pm, she may just really be wound up....good luck!
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 12:12 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Is she scared to be in her room? Try getting her a night light, and a special toy to sleep with. Try to make the bedtime routine as calming and relaxing as possible.
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 8:39 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Keep the same routine. You put her in her bed and you tell her this is night time. You are not to get out of your bed unless you call mommy or daddy. Just keep putting her back in her bed. Stay strong. I know this is hard this is what I do. She will know that she is not winning. Take away a toy that she loves. You tell her she has to earn that toy back if she does not stay in her bed. See if this works for you. Good Luck.
    sta517

Answer by sta517 at 8:38 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• WE are moving into an apt soon I am afraid her screaming at night is going to cause issues.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:39 PM on Sep. 25, 2010