Eating school or packed lunch...

I was thinking the other day about that show that Jamie Oliver did and how appalled he was at the school lunches and at how few students brought their own. When I was in school the few that brought their own lunch usually just threw them away and got the school lunch anyways. We didn't have that option, my mother always had us get school lunches... But I loved them! Hell, I would go to the school and pay for them now if they would let me in to eat. I always thought it was some of the best food ever! But I see more and more parents talking about packing lunches, which is generally a new concept to me, so I wonder why so many do that and if your kids eat lunch there is it something you would eat yourself? Is the food they serve good or not?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 7:46 PM on Sep. 25, 2010 in

• My kids do both. I send them lunch money and I have stuff in the house if they want to pack a lunch. My oldest has been taking her lunch, she is 15 and got her a lunch box at the Children's Place, lol. I think she is doing it to keep the lunch money I give her, I did that when I was a kid too. The lunches here are o.k., I don't think I would eat there when I had a choice to eat elsewhere. They do fix healthy stuff, veggies, fruits, etc. I have eaten with my son several times. The only time I didn't like it was when they had all the parents come out for pizza...The school's Pizza taste so much better when I was a kid, lol.
    luvmy4kidsinAL

Answer by luvmy4kidsinAL at 7:50 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• We bought our lunch as well.... it was a hot meal in the middle of the day. I remember the food being pretty good and well balanced too. 

My DD on the other hand brings more then half the time because she doesn't like most of the meals... she'd rather eat a yogurt and fruit every day and I am NOT going to say no to that!!! LOL

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 7:51 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I thought so until I went to have lunch with my child and they were serving them fried chicken (something I dont give them) with grease dripping from it.... Needless to say they now take their lunch and they like it better
    sam223

Answer by sam223 at 7:52 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• My sons school has wonderful food and A TON of options Modays menu is:
    Choose one:
    Mini burgers, Meal size fruit and yogurt parfait, turkey and cheese sub or PB&J on wheat
    Choose two:
    grapes, carrots and ranch, veggie special, corn on the cob and apple sauce cookies
    Milk 1% white, chocolate or strawberry
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:56 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• If I pack his lunch it's because he asked me to. He thinks it's a special treat to take his lunch box!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:57 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• My dau is a bit picky & doesnt even buy on pizza days b/c she says their pizza is gross. She just started helping to plan & pack her lunches now & circles the days on the menu on the days she wants to buy. We usually pack most of it the nite before, so it works for us either way.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:57 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I loved school lunch when I was a kid.

My son's school does not offer a hot lunch option, so we pack lunch everyday. They do offer a restaurant meal on Thursdays, but it really isn't enough food for the middle/high school kids.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 7:57 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• My kids do both. My youngest doesn't really like school lunches, but she does like the breakfast there. My third daughter likes both lunch and breakfast at school. My second is in middle school and she hates their lunches. The oldest sometimes takes hers, but the school lunch at her school has a lot of choice, so she eats their lunch quite a bit. The thing I like about the grade school and middle school is that they both have pretty healthy lunch. The middle school has a program where everything is organic and made in a healthier way. The grade school started making everything from scratch this year as a part of their "go green" philosophy. I feel a bit better about letting them eat school lunches now that I know how they are made.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 7:58 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I work pt in the school cafe and the lunches we serve are actually healthy and baked......never fried! Every lunch has a veg & fruit with it and they get milk with it too. We have things like tacos, chicken pot pie, grilled cheese and tomato soup....for the "regular" hot lunch. They also have a choice of an alternate hot lunch, a sub (different kind each day), pb&j, salad (chef salad, taco salad or garden salad) and something called a fun lunch.....basically a bag lunch with things like hard boiled egg, 100% fruit juice, cheese, carrots, salsa & nachos. My kids normally buy lunch unless they don't like what we're having that day. I also eat lunch at the school everyday and the food is really good. We have a lot of parents that come into the school to eat with their kids and they make comments about how good the lunch is.
    colethky

Answer by colethky at 8:00 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• My HS son buys lunch every day. He would never bring lunch. My daughter in 2nd grade brings lunch around 2 x per week.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 8:01 PM on Sep. 25, 2010