How to increase low milk production in one breast?

When I pump, one breast produces 3 to 6 oz when the other only produces 1/2 to 2 oz... i have all of the herbal remendies but I am afraid of increasing the wrong breast! I try to feed him more on the low side but am afraid of it "drying up" if I dont do something to fix this now!

april_babyboy

Asked by april_babyboy at 7:46 PM on Sep. 25, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• the pump doesn't show how much you truly have.... different suction. actually, i fed my 2 year old on only 1 side.... didn't hurt anything. i don't have any advice on how to get supply up on only 1 side, though... sorry.
    gracefulsky

Answer by gracefulsky at 7:51 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Are you exclusively pumping? If not, I would not worry at all about this. Pump output only shows how you respond to a pump. If you're nursing, continue as usual.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:53 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Well it is VERY common to have different outputs from each breast and even with my first who I never pumped for I definitely noticed more milk in one side then the other. If you truly want to increase one side only then pump longer and/or more often on that side only to signal it to produce more. It is not an issue unless you are not getting enough milk in total.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:46 PM on Sep. 25, 2010