Do you give your children chores? What age did you start?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:59 AM on Jul. 2, 2008 in General Parenting

• My boys clean their rooms, take out the trash, feed the animals, help with the baby while I shower or clean, clean the yard, mow/weed eat the yard, and other things that just need done. They don't argue much. I'm so glad. It takes such a load off my shoulders.
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 10:13 PM on Jul. 2, 2008

• You bet. I have two children, a boy and girl, and they both have chores. As soon as they were able to help around the house they had responsibilities. We started with easy stuff, like feeding the dog and moved up to mowing the yard and cooking dinner.

This is really a great learning opportunity for them. And, they are part of the family. It's a team and everyone should be contributing. They sure contribute to the mess!

We also give them an allowance. This is not payment for services rendered but income that they can use at their discretion. However, we will pay only a set amount for extra curricular activities (like camps, football etc.) They have to pay for everything else. We do not send food money or extra cash for incidentals if they go somewhere...they have to use their allowance. Also a great learning opportunity relevant to finances. They sure spend a lot less when it is "their" money.

TrudyP

Answer by TrudyP at 8:38 AM on Jul. 2, 2008

• My son is almost 2... I make him pick up his toys in the living room before he goes to bed. He also helps me put laundry in the washing machine & helps put away the silverware (no knives) and tupperware when I'm unloading the dishwasher. Eventually I'll have him feed the dog, put away his clothes and toys, and help with the dishes. It's up to you if you want to do allowance. I don't think it's necessary, but it is motivational.
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 2:42 PM on Jul. 2, 2008

• My two year old has to help clean his room. You should start as soon as they understand the concept so its not a big shock when you finally lay down the law.
    two.under.two

Answer by two.under.two at 10:12 PM on Jul. 2, 2008

• i have a 2 yr old and a 1 yr old and my 2 yr old i make him help me clean his room and he likes to help me make his bed but i dont make him he likes to help with laundry and the dishwasher but i dont make him do those things either.

my 1 yr. old just started cleaning up on her own. I sing the clean up song with my 2 yr old and one day she just started saying clean up and picking up toys.

i am a stay at home mom and when my kids get older i think the only chores i want for them would be small stuff like keep their rooms picked up and maybe help out after super and on the weekends help with the yard work. but i believe the whole point of a stay at home mom is to stay home and take care of the house. but i do want my kids to learn some responsibility so i do want them to help out a little.
    mommycs

Answer by mommycs at 1:12 PM on Jul. 3, 2008