Do you give your kids an allowance?

I give my kids $5 a week and this is just for them to have their own money, not for doing their chores that is THEIR responsibility as being part of the family.

luvmy4kidsinAL

Asked by luvmy4kidsinAL at 7:55 PM on Sep. 25, 2010 in General Parenting

• No, they don't get an allowance.  They do chores because they are part of the household and it's everyone's job to help take care of the house.  They are also responsible for their own things and messes.  I don't get paid to clean up after everyone and neither do they.  Plus we wouldn't have the money to give them an allowance every week.  We've also found allowances don't work for our kids.  They actually do less when there is money involved.  If the chore isn't worth the pay they won't do it.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:02 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• My daughter doesn't get an allowance but that's because she doesn't really need one. She gets enough money from relatives for the holidays that she always seems to have money when there is something she really wants. She's very good at saving even though she's only six. Her reward for doing her chores (which at this point is just keeping her room clean and picking up after herself after meals) is that her chores are done so now she can play.
    awesomedeity

Answer by awesomedeity at 8:15 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Yup our 4 yr old gets allowance. So important to teach them about money in a way that is real and tangible to them. His daily chores that he just has to do are set the table, clear the table after meals, and keep his toys picked up, For his chores he gets paid for, he does laundry, wipes down the lower cabinets, and yard work with dad. He gets anywhere from $0 - $2 a week. He really wanted the geotrax toy story train set, so he worked really hard this summer and picked up some more work from my parents and some freinds of ours. Had the $70 in no time. He is soo proud of it because HE bought with money HE earned. :)
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 8:15 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I feel that since I am not paid to do the laundry, shopping, bills, & most of the other crap, then why the hell should I pay my own children, to help me out?! It's crazy. My dau earns prizes thru a behavior chart (every 5 wks she gets a prize) If its a matter of urgency- like the book fair at her school, she did extra chores to earn $ for it. My older boys did not get cell phones until they could pay for them. My son that drives pays for all his gas, insurance, & upkeep. They need to not have everything handed to them to truly appreciate what it takes to get by in life.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 8:18 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• My kids don't get an allowance. They do have regular chores. If my son, who is old enough to care, does something above and beyond what I normally ask of him I will reward him with fifty cents or so. It's not every time so he never knows what he will do to earn it. It's a surprise and he knows if he ask he for sure isn't getting it! I do give him money on Fridays for ice cream at school and when he is older I may pay him to do extra odd jobs but as of now no real money coming his way. lol
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:24 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Yes, I give them an allowance for completing chores based on their ages. My 6 year old can earn $6 a week and my 15 yr old can earn $15 a week. I deduct for chores not done or being half done and for bad behavior. I think this is a good way to teach them responsibility and money management. I have taught them about the importance of saving and making good spending decisions. They both having savings accounts. I think this will help make them financially responsible adults.
    Cavwife12

Answer by Cavwife12 at 8:27 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Not anymore... I lost my job. No more allowance. A nice idea.
    God Bless.
    mp3mom

Answer by mp3mom at 12:26 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I don't have a job.I get nothing. God bless.
    mp3mom

Answer by mp3mom at 12:29 AM on Sep. 26, 2010