is it just me or can single-parent-hood be really isolating and lonely?

i feel like i spend too much time in the house with the baby....im so lucky that i get to do that right now and not work all the time (im job-hunting) but sometimes i wish i had a partner just so i could go to walmart alone or just to the gas station for a pop or something...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:58 PM on Sep. 25, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Definitely find a mom's group or playgroup for your little one, depending on the age. Check local churches, libraries, community centers, and if you live near parks or areas to use a stroller --- stay-at-home mom's seem to be drawn to each other. I've met girls in my neighborhood, and even at the local pharmacy that have turned into my closest mommy friends. Ask trusted friends for a babysitter reference - an hour or two just to run errands on your own is great. Good luck!!
    mevxoxo

Answer by mevxoxo at 8:20 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I agree. I feel so isolated at times.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:23 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• It helps if you have a bff or some family nearby to help out. It's crucial to get some grown up time & some time for yourself. If that is not an option ask your local YMCA for a sitter referral. Or a local CPR trainging center that offers safe sitter classes. I would trust those agencies before going to a local college or high school. Not all teens are that trustworthy. Good luck- and hang in there
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 8:03 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• yes i completley agree. wheres your mom? maybe she can help.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 8:05 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• i agree ,i have a dh but he works away from home for weeks at a time so when he does come home it disrupts nap time, bedtime attitude.. wich kinda destroys the time we do have together. but i basically sit a home alone with my dd,i realized that my nights are run by whats on tv after dd goes to bed, and u hafta schedual everything around naptimes,poopy diapers it gets exhausting. currently i need to go towalmart, but dd is not having good day and i dont have the energy for a bad walmArt trip. so here i sit. happy saterday to u ladies home alone!!
    mayo9mommy

Answer by mayo9mommy at 8:10 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I would go back to school or make a hobby or take something and start a business do something that makes you happy and also provides for you until you find a job. Start a play group go to the library for story time do things that promote you.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 8:14 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• i agree. i am very isolated but i did go back to school and i have a part time i think with out those i would go nuts. but i do feel very lonely because i have very limited friends and everyone i know is another state. its tough but hang in there. its bound to get better.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 8:43 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• You need to complete your mission. Do you have any missions? Make some things for others. Clean a closet for an elderly person, at a local community apt.complex. Offer to bake something nice. Bring a puzzle to a single older woman, or a book, newspaper, clean her clothes 2x per month or go shop to get her lunch 1 day per week. I did this when I was alone with my baby. It wasn't as if I had an option for any sitter, and it didn't last long. One year of 1 day per week, then the dad came into the picture. No time to volunteer now. Consider it a nice vacation, ....but it wouldn't hurt to count the blessings every moment either...seeing as males are very fickle and controlling and I'm not kidding, that is literal! Best bet is to go hang with older ladies, they won't corrupt your manners as younger females will. Or nag you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:06 PM on Sep. 25, 2010