is this ok??

we have friends staying with us & im guessing rules in thier house are different then rules in my hosue...is it ok to lay down the law with thier children as i would mine if they are breaking house rules??

hiswifey0725

Asked by hiswifey0725 at 8:04 PM on Sep. 25, 2010 in General Parenting

• Since it is your house, I would definitely talk to my friends and let them know what the rules are in your house and that you expect all of the kids and everybody staying at the house to follow them. I would try to be as nice and reasonable as possible. Your friends should already understand that when they stay at someone else's house, they should follow those rules. I would have no problem having my kid or kids follow my friends' house rules while we are staying with them. My husband and I would even have that discussion with our kid or kids before we stayed at our friends' house. However, you can't expect that everyone would do that, so the best thing is to have the discussion with your friends.
    Svetlana98usa

Answer by Svetlana98usa at 8:12 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• just let your friends know that the rules in your house are different than in theirs and everyone needs to respect them. In a nice way. They're your friends after all.
    gottalovemal

Answer by gottalovemal at 8:08 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• You bet it is! I'd say, "Sorry - we dont do that here." The parents will get the clue & step in if the kids dont straighten up. -Unless of course you're serving adult beverages, then in that case, they feel like they're on vacation. If that's the case, drink up- then it wont bother you so much! :)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 8:10 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I would talk to their parents first. that and go over the rulles with the kids. I dont think you should spank them as if they were yours but a time out or something like that I would say is ok. But still talk to their parents about it.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 8:09 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Absolutely. It's your home and if your friends are going to stay there they and their children need to respect your rules. I would recommend addressing it with the parents first. Make sure everyone knows exactly what you expect from your very welcome guests.
    awesomedeity

Answer by awesomedeity at 8:10 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• i would talk to the parents first. then depending on the age of the children maybe write something out so the rules of the house are posted.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 8:20 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I would personally let the parents know the rules of the house and if they don't step up to enforce them in your own home then I would. At our house we ask to be excused from the dinner table and take our dishes to the sink. My SIL does not do this, but her 3 year old has learned mainly by watching my kids, but also me politely asking him. If they are doing something like hitting or throwing things or what not I simply say "we don't hit in this house." and the children generally listen.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:43 PM on Sep. 25, 2010