stay at home mommys n toddlers

Ok so my husband is a truck driver and usally is only home during the week very limited times. So its just me and my fifteen month old all week long don't get me wrong i love it it's just some times it's exhausting because the only time i get down time is when she goes to sleep which usally i go to sleep at the same time. I was just wondering if any mons were in the same situation n what they do to keep there little one entertained. i try n take her to the park when i can. I live kinda far from my friends now n most of them are so busy with work n family life that they can't hang out. Looking for any fun ideals to take or games to play with my little one

millerchic

Asked by millerchic at 8:08 PM on Sep. 25, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• yeah, my SO works nights & sleeps days 6 days a week so we dont get that much time together either so its just me and my 16 month old. I just started school back up a couple weeks ago so i get a break when i go to school but then i need time to do homework now too. my mom is a big help, she watches him for me when im at school and sometimes on a friday night or a saturday or sunday day time & if shes not around , & i have school, one of my aunts will watch him. but before i started school back up & when im not at school, i take him to the park, we go for walks, when it was still summer here we went swimming alot and when were home, nick jr is a life saver. he loves his little toy trucks the best out of all of his toys which he has a million, and there is plenty of time during the day where he will just play with his trucks and watch nick jr. thats the biggest help to me. we also take showers together. he loves to play with
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 8:12 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• pots and pans. and thats really it i guess...
    PURPULbutterfly

• oh also, i joined a gym that has a really nice day care, so when i can i go for a couple of hours and at first he would cry and didnt like it but after about a week of that, now he LOVES it. he gets to play with all the kids and toys. we both have fun with that!
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 8:13 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• u sound like me!!! hubby is truck driver to, he bounces in and out so much that usally its just enough to disrupt the day then help:) i have 18m dd and until i hit 8months prego with dd2,we went to the park to cold for it now(we live alaska) mostly we hangout at home,i sew ,buy stuff on ebay.. then normal mom stuff wipe noses ,butts,tears..lol but it is very lonely really no advice cus i cant figure out what to do...
    mayo9mommy

Answer by mayo9mommy at 8:15 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I'm in your boat, too. My husband works nights, and my little one refuses to nap, so by the time he's out I'm ready to pass out too.

We color, finger paint, play outside, work on ABC's, have story time, sing and dance.... :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 8:20 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Go to the library, sometimes they have story time for little ones, but otherwise just read board books.
    "Hide" things at night after she goes to bed so she can find them in the morning, but for that age, "hiding" means out in plain sight on a shelf, or half hidden under a blanket

I know, it can be a long day with a little one, but hang in there, it gets easier. I have 3 kids, older now, but I remember those days!!
    RedRowan

Answer by RedRowan at 8:29 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• We're in a similar boat, my husband works 14-16 hour days 7 days a week, so we're all asleep when he comes home, and we try to get out of the house so he can sleep in. Occasionally we see him for a few minutes in the morning if our toddler happens to be extra noisy and wakes him up.

Story time at the library (or just hanging out there to read or play with the computers if they have them for the kids), walking around the mall (great during weekday mornings when it's still pretty empty; the escalators and elevators are often great fun for toddlers), or how about finding a local moms group? I found mine through Meetup.com; the group I'm in has kids all born in the same year, so it's nice that our kids are all close in age.

Good luck!
    phoofy

Answer by phoofy at 10:20 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I hear you! My husband works looong hours and travels for business quite often for up to 2 weeks at a time! It can get very lonely and difficult. we also live a ways from our family and my friends back home. What I did was go on a website called meetup.com and look for mom groups. I ended up actually creating my own in our area for stay at home moms. Through the group I've now made a few really good girl friends I can call up whenever, and a few friends for my daughter. We do all sorts of stuff in the area together! Even if it's as simple as going out to lunch or having a play date, it can really help break up the time away from the hubby and help you not feel so alone!
    mamakels579

Answer by mamakels579 at 10:51 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• MY HUBBY WORKS CRAZY HOURS AND WEEKENDS OFTEN....HERE ARE SOME THINGS WE DO: PARK, MY GYM CLASS, I GO TO THE GYM AND HE STAYS IN A GREAT DAYCARE, ART CLASS, LIBRARY, STORY TIME, CHILDREN'S MUSEUM PASS, PLACE WHERE THEY HAVE INFLATIBLES, SWIM LESSONS, JOIN A MOM'S GROUP, VISIT A FARM
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 2:45 PM on Sep. 26, 2010