Flu Vaccine Question

My 4 yr old's preschool requires the flu vaccine.
My kids have always gotten the regular flu shot, so it was never a problem.
They did not get the Swine Flu vaccine, based on my pediatrician's recommendation.

Now this year, I have found out (through my pediatrician) that the REGULAR Flu Vaccine is made up of 3 components - 2 for the anticipated regular flu strains, and 1 of the swine flu.
You can not find any flu vaccine that has been manufactured WITHOUT the swine flu vaccine. My pediatrician did not order it this year and does not recommend it.
(I trust his judgement).

My question is: what do I do about my son's preschool requirement? Would they give me a waiver since the swine flu is in this year's vaccine?

ARmom

Asked by ARmom at 8:09 PM on Sep. 25, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Have the doctor write an excuse for your son and hopefully the school will accept it.
    musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 8:21 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• did your ped say why he doesnt recommend it?
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 8:14 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• My son is 3 and is going in on Monday to get all of his shots. I also don't want him to get the Swine Flu shot. He didn't last year because I didn't trust it and I feel this way this year. I get the flu shot each year and I did this year too. I'm thinking I may just skip out on getting my son the shot. :-S I am curious to see what people say about it!

Good Luck and hopefully the school doesn't have a problem with it!

~Alyssa M.
    Helping Moms Work From Home
    www.4theLoveofMyFamily.com
    alyssamal

Answer by alyssamal at 8:24 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• ask ur doc to write a note they cant force u to do anything its against the law look up ur state laws on vac and take that with u if needed. and good for u and ur doc the flu shot is a joke!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 8:27 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Trust your ped, and be prepared to argue the stance.
    Radarma

Answer by Radarma at 12:17 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I am not sure about the waiver, but I wonder why he doesn't adivse your son getting it. Most people were concerned with only last year's "rush-rush" version of the swine flu vaccine, because it was rushed to get through production, the process did not allow time for optimization. this optimization is alot of what makes it as potent as possible (antigen recognition).

As inclusion in this year's standard vaccine, it is one of the most anticipated starins and so they have put it through optimization. Concern over this vaccine should be similar to general concerns over the flu vaccine - nothing special about the swin flu strin included in it.
    science_spot

Answer by science_spot at 4:35 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• You may want to look into a different pre-school.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 11:42 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I got the shot several weeks ago, and you'd never know I even got it..... Its fine.... --- Also, once kids start school, the flu always goes around like an epidemic.., hasn't happened yet though.... -------- (but, common sense would tell you, to get a doctor's note, and see what they say).... -- But again..... the shot is fine.............
    Kay300

Answer by Kay300 at 1:09 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Caraline-thats not true. This is preschool, therefore a private establishment. They can go by whatever rules they want. Public school is different and you can get waivers and they can't force you to do anything.
    I would ask your Dr. to write you the recommendations and try to present it to them. Offer to get the shot yourself to protect your child but say you are not comfortabe going against your Pediatricians wishes and are not comfortable with this years shot.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 7:49 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Caraline,
    ARmom is correct, most preschools are private establlishments. I know that the preschool I work at requires vaccincations and doesn't make exceptions. You, the parent have the right to take your child to another center that may have different or less stringant rules.
    kaedrasgma

Answer by kaedrasgma at 12:07 AM on Sep. 27, 2010