how do i potty train a 2 year old boy?

blhmek

Asked by blhmek at 11:58 AM on Oct. 21, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If he is not ready, you can't. You have to wait until they show signs of readiness, such as disliking to be wet, waking up from a nap dry, taking an interest in the potty, telling you they are wet/poopy, being able to follow simple instructions. If you try before he is ready, it will only be a nightmare for you. If he IS ready, take him to the store and buy him LOTS of underwear. Let him pick out some cute ones, like Cars, or Ironman. Stay close to home for at least a few days and have him wear his underwear around the house. Be prepared for lots of accidents. Take him to the bathroom once an hour and have him sit. If he has an accident throughout the day, don't get mad. State the facts "you peed in your underwear, the pee goes in the potty, not your undies". Then just change him. If he poops, dump out the mess into the toilet and show him where it goes. It takes some practice and time.
    cdgoldilocks

Answer by cdgoldilocks at 12:16 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• What has been helping my two year old is putting rice krispies in the toilet and tell them to hit em. I also have been having him stand on a stool and peeing like "daddy". He gets really excited when he pees then cause he feels like he is like daddy. Then I reward him with a m&m.
    rileynkyleigh

Answer by rileynkyleigh at 12:23 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• First of all make sure he is truly ready. If hes not your waisting your time and his. Look for these sighns does he tell you hes wet or poopy? Does he hide when he gos potty? Does he time to time wake up dry from his naps? If he is ready avoid using pull ups except for at night. Buy him underwear and let him pick some out to. Explain that big boys use the potty to go pee and poop and that we dont go in our pants. Reward him with something he likes if he makes it through the day with no accidents. Dont get mad when there is just explain that we use the potty and change him. Takes time and most of all be patient with him. Boys are hard to potty train.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 12:23 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• oh girl...that's a LONG process! Jalen will be 3 in April....and luckily I have enrolled in a daycare that potty trains....so that has helped him tremendously BECAUSE...he is a very observant child like most and they tend to like to do what they see others do! He has pretty much grasped the idea...and now boo-boo in the potty as well. For the longest...that was a huge question mark for him! First, ideally introduce him to his own personal potty. Allow him to watch you preferably Daddy or a male figure...Jalen used to sit on the potty like me...now that he realizes he is a BOY and has a little thingy down there...he stands up and urinates! He also boo-boo in the potty and no longer has accidents in his pants.
    Vmarie76

Answer by Vmarie76 at 4:26 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• Also, I do make him sleep in his pull up's at night...now he doesn't even like to go in those anymore. He will have an accident here and there..so it's going to take ALOT of patience from you! I say that because he is going to have to pee-pee ALOT...so u have to put on a smiley face no matter how much u think he doens't have to go because HE JUST WENT...just get up w/ him. Just continue to talk to him each time he goes...and surely he will grasp it. I was at wits end in the beginning...it was very tedious and a long process....so just know that everything takes TIME!
    Vmarie76

• I have been trying to figure out how to train a two year old little girl. I am having such a hard time. I will wish the both of us luck!
    SINGLEMOM83

Answer by SINGLEMOM83 at 8:10 PM on Oct. 21, 2008