I am really tired of stuff, toys, extra unnecessary things just accumulating.. (you?

Do you just go absolutely brainy when the d/h wants to keep every little thing, and you trip over stuff or fill the closets to the ceiling. Corners of rooms, every spot on the floor to walk, and all the place very little to begin with, .....what is it for? If I give it or toss them away he's upset, if we keep them we can't find what we look for. What a mess.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:17 PM on Sep. 25, 2010 in Home & Garden

• you donate to charity when he doesnt notice/isnt looking
    gottalovemal

Answer by gottalovemal at 8:18 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• My house if filled to the brim with clutter. Next month my kids are going to stay with my parents for a few weeks, and I plan on using all the free time to de-clutter the entire house. I'm going thru closets, bedrooms, bathrooms, kitchen, and all. I will downsize as much as possible, and whatever can't be sold will either be given away, or trashed. I am so sick of the clutter!
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 8:19 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I am starting to have that feeling so I am going to make three piles one for donation one for sale and one for the trash..
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 8:22 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Have you ever seen the show hoarders?
    ajc88

Answer by ajc88 at 8:22 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Nice ... my2.5boys-- I don't get that luxury, only when people are in for major trauma hospital stays, and it doesn't fuel me to clean or de-clutter due to the time spent at hospital and energy dealing with trauma in general. Now I really see that when each time I'd toss, or give to charity boxes, it was all coming back in amounts larger than what went out the door it was tempting to keep the stuff---then have new junk. It's a revolving appointment with clutter ! UGH
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:23 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I will just share my story of clutter. I had a storage unit, from my divorce and I opened it about once a year. Looked in and closed it. Kept paying on it for too long of a time. A friend went down with me and we had garbage bags ready to go. He inspired me to open up a trash bag and start filling it. I stopped looking at the sentimental value of things and just started tossing. I was able to close out the storage unit a few days later. Give dh a time frame, he has till this date to do whatever he wants with all this stuff, or its going to get tossed. Sometimes, organizing and rearranging things, gets you no where. When my dd and I do major cleaning in our house, we have a one touch rule. You touch it one time, either it stays, or it goes, but you never touch it again...hope this has helped....hang in there
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 8:34 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• We're the opposite in our house. DH absolutely hates clutter, but I am thankful for it because I could be a total packrat like my dad. (He still has boxes of paperwork from his old jobs - and he's been retired for many years now!) Our main rule is: if you don't use it in a year and it has no real sentimental value, donate if it's still usable, otherwise trash it. Also, to help control stuff, get rid of something if you want to bring something else into the house.
    phoofy

Answer by phoofy at 3:17 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Here's a rule for every 1 thing that comes into your house 2 should go either donate or toss or give away get rid of it as fast as you can and while dh is at work or the kids are napping or put in a movie for them to watch set a timer for so long then go through whatever you can in that short of a time. Clutter just clutters the mind Good Luck!
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 10:30 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• My DH thinks the top of my fridge is his personal dumping ground UGH...so he puts crap up there and as soon as he leaves for work I take it off and get rid of it, or toss it in his garage where it belongs.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 2:18 PM on Sep. 27, 2010