Is it proper for a parent to speak or complain to a coach of their teen's varsity sports team?

I have had several parents and even team members speak to me about their disappointment concerning the coach and how the team is played. This is a varsity volleyball team to which my daughter is a part of. I have been told that it is not appropriate for a parent of a varsity player to speak to the coach about their concerns. You should speak to the athletic director instead but I'm not sure if I agree with that either. I have expressed to everyone that the girls should be encouraged to speak to their coach and if the parent is really that upset than contact the athletic director. What would you do? Would you speak to the coach? athletic director? or just encourage the girls to talk to the coach?

marchar2002

Asked by marchar2002 at 8:22 PM on Sep. 25, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• I think the girls should speak to the coach first and then if nothing is resolved then the girls should then speak to the athletic director. If things are still not resolved then the parents should intervene
    Cavwife12

Answer by Cavwife12 at 8:31 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• my father did at my games... i think its fine as long as parents dont resort to violence
    pinkdena

Answer by pinkdena at 8:24 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Its either serious enough to go to the athletic director, or its not. If its not, then you just have to let it go. The coach is not going to want to hear criticism frm parents.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 8:31 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• My oldest son's varsity soccer coach was very approachable. He had parent meetings frequently.
    BUT, consider this --If you are talking to a varsity coach about you child playing more time, you should probably not waste your breath. At the varisty level, it is about winning, not about being fair. If your child wants more playing time, then have them practice.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 8:33 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Start with the coach then if it isn't resolved, go to the AD.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:41 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Yes I would speak with the Coach and have some suggestion.
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 11:35 AM on Sep. 26, 2010