How do you handle the teenage smartiepants?

Uhg...Fifteen, man and they think they are the world's expert on everything, including what language is offensive to their parents and what isn't. Say, hey that was disrespectful and they say what?.."so".

Drummos

Asked by Drummos at 8:39 PM on Sep. 25, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Fortunately, my husband does not put up with any disrespect from our children in any fashion no matter what their age is. Not towards him and especially not towards me. They give me a hard time even though I can give it back just as bad as they can.
    I have finally reached the point where I have told my children at various points in their lives, especially my youngest on several occasions (she is now 16), that if they don't like it here then I will pack their clothing and personal items into a plastic garbage bag and they can walk out the door to wherever they want. I'm serious about it, too.
    I'm past the point of being threatened that they will call CPS if I don't give in to their wants. Screw that!
    They refuse to do chores unless they are paid?! I told them that their laptops, iPods, cell phones and call plans, tvs, dvd players, stereos, expensive name-brand clothes, & cash when they want is their pay!
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 1:12 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Stop that nonsense right away. Let her know you are not gonna put up with that. Then have her get a job as a cashier so she can talk all shift long.
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 11:33 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I have an 18 and 16,..wait till you get to 18! Its just lovely
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 8:42 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I need help with my smartiepants 3 year old!!! We have been having one heck of a night with him tonight. I've taken toys away, timeout, you name it. All I have left is to put him to bed early!!!

I definitely am not looking forward to the teenage years :-S

Good Luck!

~Alyssa M.
    Helping Moms Work From Home
    www.4theLoveofMyFamily.com
    alyssamal

Answer by alyssamal at 8:42 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Don't tolerate it. My dd is 16 and thinks she knows everything. When her mouth gets sassy, her mouth loses her cell phone for a week.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 8:42 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I told my DD (15) she needed to have her bedroom cleaned up and she asked, "Why, its my room?" I stated that it was my house and she responded, "So, I am not destroying the walls, window or door am I?"

I very explicitly let her know that she needed to change her attitude and respond "Yes, mommy." Instead I got the, "Yes, Mother!"
    marchar2002

Answer by marchar2002 at 8:46 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• just be sourteous and lead by example and treat them like human beings not just teens., there is so much stress fo rthem and confusion that they are just acting likethey knwo it all, they actually WANT to hear how you feel and want to please you they have just lost the avenues to do so anymore. i would have been so differen thad my parents who were emotionally distant TOLD me about what was good to dtudy or what to watch out for in boys or men,,, or how if i cleaned up my room it wopudl make the whole wknd go smoother.. i';d have done it!! try telling them the WHY behind stuff and you will see a difference in better results and communication and understanding.
    silverelf

Answer by silverelf at 8:58 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Start when they are young -use a short leash and supervision of friends and activities
    Redbird26

Answer by Redbird26 at 3:46 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• That will be the day they say what or so. YOU are still the parent and they need to respect you. YOU have to start when the tree is straight because once the tree starts to bend you have lost all control. I would start taking things away they really love. You have to put a stop to this right now. Good Luck.
    sta517

Answer by sta517 at 8:44 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• i bet its frustrating.i dont have a teen yet but i was a terror when i was a teen & i have teen younger bro & sis and i see how they act, but i really believe that you have to be understanding because to an extent its out of there control. they have so much going on with hormones and changes in there body, and plus all of the new stresses like school, friends, boyfriends/girlfriends, just growing up in general is stressful and it puts people in a bad mood. we all know what it feels like and i think its better to pick your battles with a teen and sometimes just laugh it off, and understand and just think yeah i remember how that felt. sometimes you gotta cut your kids a break, its not that easy. just because we lived through it doesnt mean it was that easy while we were living it.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 8:47 PM on Sep. 25, 2010