My daughter is 13 months and still doenst sleep through the night? what should I do. She still wakes up for a bottle in the middle of the night and she doesnt seem to always self sooth. what should i do?

reggiboo

Asked by reggiboo at 8:55 PM on Sep. 25, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I let both of my kids cry it out. It's really hard at first but in a few nights they were sleeping through the night. It's important for LO to learn how to self-soothe, and sometimes you have to teach them the hard way, by giving them a crash-course.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 8:56 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• At 13 months, I would say to get up and hold them. Feed them a bottle and put them back to bed. She is still an infant. If she needs you in the night, be there for her.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 8:59 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I wouldn't give my daughter a full bottle. Maybe a couple oz then down to an oz then nothing at all.

If my son wakes up (he's almost 14 months) I go see if he's wet or something is wrong but if not I leave and give him 10 minutes to work it out on his own and he normally does
    Smiley001

Answer by Smiley001 at 8:59 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Try a little larger feeding before bed time. She should sleep a little longer and not be as hungry when she wakes. Have you tried putting a clock in her room that tick tocks? That seems to be very soothing to babies, as they focus on the sound instead of eating and crying. It also helps them get back to sleep a little easier. Any sort of white noise will help (a fan, the sounds of a babbling creek, wind blowing gently, etc.).
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 9:01 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• hi. don;'t worry too much about this. i twill pass and wont last forever., she IS still an infant like the other mom said.. just give her her bottle and hold her, and then go back to sloeep but let her soother hersel fback to sleep. mine is six months and she still gets up at either 12 or 2 and then is up at 5 or 6. it will probably last long but its ok. we are not ruining them by lettign this happen. they will soon grow out of it. our meeting our infants needs tells them noverbally that we are trustworthy in their eyes accordin gto a pernting article, meetin gtheir needs is NOT spoiling them at this age. age 3 maybe tho! but not now so you said she doesnt ALWAYS self soothe but other times i am sure she is trying. try a safe thick fleece blanket at bedtime to soothe with and bite, and a bouncy chair holding same blanket, this works fo rmy six month old. also soft music at the waking time, a loooow radio station, help her.
    silverelf

Answer by silverelf at 9:17 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• also try to put some single grain rice infant flakes n her botle befor ebed.. use a fast flow nipple or make the hole slightly larger. this helped my son. bothmy kids are good sleepers and they feel good in the morn.
    silverelf

Answer by silverelf at 9:18 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• It's a phase that will pass. Hold her and make sure she isn't crying because she is too hot or cold.
    soccerfanatic14

Answer by soccerfanatic14 at 9:58 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I give my son 1/4 cup of cereal and his bottle before bed. He is 12 months old. That might give your daughter enough food to keep her full through the night. My son has been sleeping through the night for a little while now but I was afraid he might not ever get to this point. My husband did also talk me into letting him cry. It is the WORST thing I have ever done where my son is concerned. It is so HARD to do but it did work. He didn't cry for too long and he did it for a couple of nights before he slept through the night. Now he is a good sleeper.
    daltonsmom123

Answer by daltonsmom123 at 10:42 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I was/am in a similar boat. It all depends upon how you feel about it. My daughter is 16 months old and still wakes up in the night once or twice a week. I, however, don't see it as a problem. I don't think it always depends on how much you feed them before bed, or self soothing. My daughter is able to put herself to sleep for naps and bedtimes and during the night so I know she can self sooth, and if she does wake in the night and cry out, all it takes is just rubbing her back or rocking her her for a few minutes and she'll go back to sleep. She sleeps about 12 hours a night with only 1 or at the most 2 wake ups. I guess I look at it as, during they day they are constantly with someone and have that contact, so 12 hours is a long time to ask them to go without it, especially waking up alone in the dark. Try getting some books. I personally like Elizabeth Pantley's No Cry Sleep Solution. Good luck!
    mamakels579

Answer by mamakels579 at 10:46 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• At 13 months your daughter shouldn't still need a night time feeding. As long as you keep getting up with her, she probably won't sleep through the night. She should be able to get herself back to sleep.
    MomMom23

Answer by MomMom23 at 10:51 PM on Sep. 25, 2010