dress for american girl doll-

little one has a american girl doll that she got as a result of piggy bank funds and birthday gift money.

she has outfits from the american girl store, and her aunt was wondering if she'd like to help her make a outfit for it. hence the hand made would be different than anything you can buy.
She doesn't want to work with her aunt to make it-
It's her choice if she wants to work on the dress, but on the same note, I'm wondering if helping make the dress should be a requirement to getting the dress.
she's 7, and a little diva with a bit of a attitude- good kid, but entering that stage.
think she may be thinking 'why bother?' that things can just be bought, or I have a feeling that she's thinking that her aunt will just make the dress anyway.
any thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:02 PM on Sep. 25, 2010 in General Parenting

• DEAR MOMMA,
    I suggest you go with your gut feelings.. Teach your child a lesson... and let them be blessed with a new skill and Have her understand what goes into making her babydoll stuff.. I THINK THAT YOUR ON THE RIGHT TRACK!!
    MAKEMYDAY101

Answer by MAKEMYDAY101 at 9:57 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• She's 7 years old. I f she isn't interested in sewing, that's not a big deal. She is probably just interested in the dress as the outcome, which is totally understandable for a child that age. I didn't get into sewing until I was about 10. I think aunty should just make the dress out of love, if she isn't interested in making with her. I think maybe auntie was trying to spend time with her? Thats nice! :)
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 9:06 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• op- aunt probably will anyway, but I was wondering if that would be feeding the selfishness she's been showing.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:12 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Oh.....no way! She's still a child. It will be extra special because auntie made it! :)
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 9:14 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I'm with MAKEMYDAY101, I think you should insist she help with making the dress. I think it will be a valuable lesson! And perhaps the beginning of a new hobby for her!
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 11:39 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• op-
    well, little one did help with the deciding of the dress, and got a bit of a 'pattern 101' talk about it as to how it all works.
    when the next stage comes up, we'll see if we can all get together for her to participate in the next step.
    thanks-
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:06 PM on Sep. 28, 2010