I think my daughter may have pinworms

She has been putting her hands in her pants for a few weeks and I thought her pull ups were too tight because she is really getting too big for them and I assumed they were annoying her. Anywho, now she's eating like a pig and I noticed that she wasn't just shoving her hands down there, she appears to be scratching at her butt. I read that they are easily spread and you should disinfect things to get rid of them, but what is the most important to clean thoroughly to avoid reinfection? Will the Dr. prescribe meds for the whole family since we also have a three and a half month old baby? Has anyone dealt with this? It sounds truly disgusting based on what I've read and requires a lot of work to cleanse anything she may have touched. Does the "tape trick" on the bottom always work to catch them? Are there OTC meds or is a dr. necessary? I'm totally clueless on this!

ErinHill226

Asked by ErinHill226 at 9:18 PM on Sep. 25, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• No you dont' have to sanitize everything. They will just treat her. She'll be fine. Just make sure everyone is doing a little extra handwashing. Hang in there!
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 9:21 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• treat her with meds that is :)
    Musicmom80

• A doctor is necessary.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 9:25 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I dunno why it never occurred to me before NOW that it could be worms! My mom said a long time ago that I had them as a baby and she was the one who called it to my attention yesterday when she wouldn't keep her hands off her butt! It just makes me kind of grossed out because she may have like...grabbed the baby's paci and given it to him or something when we didn't know she had touched her butt or something like that...so he may have it too. I guess we'll all be taking meds just to make sure... bleh!
    ErinHill226

Comment by ErinHill226 (original poster) at 9:26 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Nooooo! lol Calm down! I know it's totally gross! Just go get her checked for sure! My dog go them and none of my 4 kids got it. A kid had it at daycare and none of the other kids caught it either. Good luck!
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 9:28 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Okay, I will take her to the clinic place tomorrow since the waiting list for our normal guy is soooo long. Hopefully they will be able to diagnose it or give us something she can take just in case... My husband is gonna check her while she's sleeping tonight since we read you can see them crawling on the bum sometimes while they are sleeping since they go there to lay their eggs. Kind of makes my skin crawl a little...
    ErinHill226

Comment by ErinHill226 (original poster) at 9:28 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• If you put a piece of clear tape over her bum at night if she has the worms they will stick to the tape and you can diagnose it just by that, it is pretty common in third world countries but not in America. I wouldn't worry too much, my daughter touched herself a lot at that age out of curiosity and eventually grew out of it. Good luck.

HMHUTSON

Answer by HMHUTSON at 9:35 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I read 4 in 10 kids in the US get pin worms before age ten! The other worms are pretty rare here nowadays. I'm not worried so much health wise since those types aren't dangerous per say...but it sounded like a lot of headache and stress. I kept thinking back to all the work involved when my sister had head lice a few years ago. Washing, drying, re-washing, spraying, washing, etc... gives me a headache just thinking about it. lol.
    ErinHill226

Comment by ErinHill226 (original poster) at 9:38 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Although, it's unlikely that it's pinworm. Typically eating mass amounts of food only takes place with tape worms; due to the fact that they're attached to the intestines and deplete a persons nutrition. IF it is pinworm, the doctor won't perscribe meds to the whole family, only to the affected individual. The only preventive measure you can take is to disinfect everything and practice good handwashing. However, like I said before, very unlikely that it's pinworm.
    HMHUTSON

Answer by HMHUTSON at 9:44 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• The eating thing is likely not related, as she had done that before and then settled back down... I read on the CDC website that you can only get a tape worm by eating undercooked meats or by somehow ingesting animal fecal matter. Or by eating a flea that ate poop which contained eggs. I think it's unlikely she has any sort of worms, but just in case I'd like to have her checked. That said, I think I had pin worms when I was one and my dad once had a tapeworm so I guess anything's possible.
    ErinHill226

Comment by ErinHill226 (original poster) at 9:57 PM on Sep. 25, 2010