Potty training: helping them stay dry while sleeping?

Got any tips on helping my almost 3-year-old stay dry during naps and over night? My son seems to be a heavy wetter - sometimes he'll have 2 hours between his last drink (cup of milk with dinner) and bedtime, and his diaper will still very full in the morning. Sometimes he pees so much it'll leak! Dinner and bedtime are usually 2.5 hours apart - would I need to either have dinner earlier and/or push bedtime later??

phoofy

Asked by phoofy at 10:08 PM on Sep. 25, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• we do 2 hours between his last drink and bed, and he pees right before he lays down. hes 22 months and we started at 18 months and he potty trained for night time right away, it was the day time that took forever. he has never had an accident over night, i make sure to take him to the bathroom as soon as i hear him wake up. now he knows to just wait in bed until i come get him and he can go. some kids just take longer at night. you could also wake him before you go to bed and make him go, we do that some nights if he drinks right before bed if he was outside playing or something.
    sweetjpea

Answer by sweetjpea at 10:28 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• We're not even close to what you were describing, since my son is flat-out refusing to even sit on his potty chair (or the potty seat on the toilet) right now. (We had a rough time last week, and I may have pushed too much, so now he's just all anti-potty.) I do ask him before bed and when he wakes up if he wants to sit on the potty (with mom, even), and he's just all "NO!" :(
    phoofy

Comment by phoofy (original poster) at 1:05 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• First, don't ask if he needs to go, tell him to go. You enforce the potty not let him decide. Second, night training is harder than day training for most kids. Give it time. Most kids don't have the bladder control to hold it in their sleep until about 4.

Give him a break and try again when it's fun for him. I gave 2 months break for my DD then she went right back to doing well again.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:48 AM on Sep. 27, 2010