school age question

For those of you with school-age kids (grades 1-4): if you witnessed a neighbor kid (around the same age) physically hurt your child on purpose with the intent to harm (and yes, you knew they meant it) how would you react?

connorsmom1970

Asked by connorsmom1970 at 10:12 PM on Sep. 25, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I would talk with the kid and let him know that I saw and if it happens again we will both speakith his parents. I would alo let him know that type of behavior isn't appropriate in our neighborhood.
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 10:14 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Honestly, I think if some other child physically hurt mind and meant to do it, I would eventually have to feel bad for him because my son would woop his ass! I have always taught my children to stand up for themselves - don't start it, but once it's on, win! Other parents may not agree with "school yard justice" but it's better than any time out or talking to the kid is going to get and next time he'll think twice before he puts his hands on someone else!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:15 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I had a ton of kids over today (well ok 9) and if one had hurt my kid, I would say something mild since their mothers were here to really talk to them, but I might call to attention that my kid was hurt, take him or her away from the kid.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 10:15 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• We had a similar situation. A boy who lives down the street was always coming up to play. Every time he was here there were problems. The final straw was when he put his hands around my son's throat and called me a bitch. I told him he wasn't allowed back up to play. The other mothers near me all thanked me, they were wanting to do that, but were afraid of this kids mothers reaction.
    tracy0812

Answer by tracy0812 at 6:34 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I would tell him to knock it off & then tell his parents & if that didn't work, Id make sure my son wasn't allowed to play with him, even if other kids on the street were playing with him.

Id also let it be known around the block (If the mom & dad didn't do anything about it) How the kid acts. Sooner or later He'll have no friends (which is sad) & what to know why & Hopefully would change his behavor.
    lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 9:13 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I would address the chid directly, and go from there. Same thing i would hope another parent would do if the scenario were reversed.
    Radarma

Answer by Radarma at 11:35 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I would addrss the child and then talk to the parents.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 5:12 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• take the kid home and address the parents. Then teach your kids self defense.
    unicornnymph22

Answer by unicornnymph22 at 2:55 AM on Nov. 11, 2010