HELP! baking a perfect cake?

I just baked a cake from a cookbook and it tastes like a biscuit. LOL Can anyone give me a recipie so my cake will taste sweet and be moist? Like a cake from the box?

armywifey6

Asked by armywifey6 at 12:04 AM on Jun. 19, 2008 in Food & Drink

• are you sure you followed the directions ?? sometimes even just a smidge diff. from a measurement can ruin a cookbook recipe.. my hubby does it alllll the time!! LOL! im a box cake mix girl myself!!
    lovinallofthem

Answer by lovinallofthem at 12:07 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• no I followed it to a tee because it was my first time usually if I do it once or twice, I kinda throw in my own flair...pies and cookies I can do, cakes may be my downfall!!!
    armywifey6

Answer by armywifey6 at 12:13 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• what kind of cake are you makeing? try looking for a different recipe online... and to make it more moist try more oil or egg, and the sweetness i guess that depends on what kind of cake you are makeing.
    shellsasweetie

Answer by shellsasweetie at 12:30 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• with cakes you have to follow it to the tee. and there is a different taste to homemade cakes then to box cakes.
    woolly_baa

Answer by woolly_baa at 12:31 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I always mya coffee cake from bisquick. I know that it is not moist and doesnt have the same taste unless i add extra sugar. and the topping they have it totally wrong on the recipe so i just make my own.
    shellsasweetie

Answer by shellsasweetie at 12:36 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Try allrecipes.com. I've never tried a cake from a cookbook, but you can punch in cakes and find THOUSANDS of recipes. Good luck!
    Kyragirl

Answer by Kyragirl at 12:54 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Well, im not a baker without a recipe or a box mix, so I suggest a cake mix. Dunkin Hines is a good choice. I made a german chocolate cake once for a friends bday that came out awesome, really moist! It's her fave and she loved it! Good luck.
    amoremio

Answer by amoremio at 12:56 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I have always had good luck with cakes on the FoodTV Network. com.
    cacnotcam

Answer by cacnotcam at 1:41 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Did your recipe call for oil, or butter? Boxed cakes use oil which is a big component for the moistness, so you may want to try substituting some of the butter for oil. As for flavor, try adding vanilla extract (pure, not the fake stuff) before adding sugar, as too much sugar can dry it out again. Good luck!
    mommamiller0809

Answer by mommamiller0809 at 3:53 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• OK- the trick is to rotate ingredients- your recipe prob had some kind of milk in it right? The trick is to add the flour then milk, back and forth always end ith the wet ingredient- AND use room temp milk, butter and ESPECIALLY eggs- really cold eggs will make a cake dry and buscuit like :)
    jessicasea

Answer by jessicasea at 2:35 PM on Jun. 19, 2008