Why do people compare breastfeeding in public to peeing in public?

Breastfeeding is a way of substaining human life. It's the babies nourishment, among other things. Peeing, while it may make you feel more comfortable, is NOT comparable to breastfeeding because you generally will not die nor will you be in immense pain from not peeing. As adults you have the ability to understand your need to urinate & usually the physical & mental control needed to wait until your in a bathroom or behind a bush.
Babies are in physical pain when they are hungry so someone shouldn't wait until they are screaming to feed them just because it mind offend someone else. They do not have the mental comprehension to understand why someone is making them wait to eat. They do NOT understand why they are in pain. They know ONE THING...

CONTINUED BELOW!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:32 PM on Oct. 21, 2008 in General Parenting

• Mommy is supposed to feed them & meet their needs.

PLEASE someone explain to me with ligitmit reasoning why anyone thinks the "a man peeing is natural but people would freak if he wipped his penis out" is considered a valid and intelligent arguement!?!?
    Anonymous

• You make a very good point. It irritates me to NO END when people compare NIP to peeing in public.

Ummmm....let's see here....a baby HAS to eat and should NOT wait to eat so the baby MUST be fed. Most men (it's always a man that they use to compare with breastfeeding) have a significant amount of warning time before their bodies will give out and force the urine out. People have run out of "good" excuses as to why a women shouldn't NIP so I guess they're grasping at straws now. How sad!!
    miasmommy21407

Answer by miasmommy21407 at 12:39 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• It's because they are close minded, uneducated, and unintelligent people. I nursed in public for 16 months I was always discreet, but all you can do is ignore those few people that you will have the displeasure of meeting.
    little.miss.mom

Answer by little.miss.mom at 12:45 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• i nurse in public all the time, i am very respectful abotu it though, i don't intentionally want people to feel uncomfortable. The other day i was at wal mart with my mom and the baby wouldnt stop crying so i sat on a bottom shelf in the curtain aisle and fed him ( I cover him up with a blanket..) i just put my buggy in front of me ..no one said a word...
    VictinaG

Answer by VictinaG at 12:48 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• I'm not against BF in public, but I'm against someone whipping their entire breast out in front of my 10 year old. My kids understand BF, they watched me do it. But I was discreet even at home when they were around. There is a tactful way of doing it. Sometimes women think just because they are feeding their baby they can be as free and open as they'd like. I disagree with that. At least throw a blanket over yourself or turn your back to people to get the baby latched on. Peeing in public is just a no no.
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 1:08 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

exactly what i was going to say - there is no need for me to see your breast when your baby is hungry & i dont think you should have to run and hide when they are ready to eat - use a blanket ...

peeing in public is absolutely not comparable!

vakatia

Answer by vakatia at 1:19 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• Thats comparing apples to oranges. Theres a fine line between relieving yourself and nourishing your child.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 1:23 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• When I BF, I NIP all the time. Heck, I BF the entire two hours I was grocery shopping once! I only had one leer from a jerk but my dh was standing right there and got very nasty to him, telling him if he finds my boobs not sexy while I am feeding and I am his wife, the other guy is just the sickest pervert on the planet and should be thrown into the category with child molesters and rapists. Yep, he went a bit far, but he showed the jerk what he did was wrong and why my boobs exist.
    mama4Christ361

Answer by mama4Christ361 at 1:24 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• they make those stupid comparisons cause they have no logical ones. it's like little kids do. you say the word natural, so they try to think of any natural "disgusting" thing they can think of to prove natural isn't ok. it's pathetic. as for the blanket comments: there is nothing wrong with breastfeeding, & that includes the BREASTS. no baby deserves to be under a dark hot blanket to make sure no one is offended by clevage (aerola & nipple are in baby's mouth). i think "discretion" is fine, but not a priority that should be pushed on women. especially since everyone's definition of discreet is different. a milking breast that is noticably exposed while nursing is still a milking breast. so people just need to get over it. i wouldn't care if i had an older son who got a glimpse of a boob doing it's job. afterall, STARING is what's really rude.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 1:51 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• people that use this arguement are uncreative and grasping at straws.
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 2:59 PM on Oct. 21, 2008