How do you "wash" a dishwasher??

None of the store things have seemed to help clean the inside...

mom2maddie06

Asked by mom2maddie06 at 10:23 PM on Sep. 25, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I read somewhere one time (you're going to think I'm crazy when I say this), that there is no need to use the most expensive thing out there to clean your dish washer. Citric acid helps clean your dishwasher, try running it through a cycle with a pack of unsweetened lemonade (koolaid).
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 1:32 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I use a cup of vinegar if you are trying to get rid of smell..run through a full cycle with just the vinegar...if it is mold/mildew use bleach, I usually use clorox clean up in the spray bottle, spray the entire inside and racks then run through an entire cylce to rinse.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 10:33 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Have you cleaned out the trap in the bottom of the dishwasher? That where the food particles from the dishwasher end up and they sit there until it is cleaned out.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:22 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I will have to try them.... probably ALL of them!!! lol It's hard to explain, but it's an odd smell. It almost makes me sick to my stomach :( I feel like it's useless, like no matter how many tries the dishes DO NOT get clean. I hate that thought!!! I have used ALL of the "Dishwasher cleaner" options at our Wal-Mart and Nothing is working! Thanks for the ideas, I will be trying them!! :)
    mom2maddie06

Comment by mom2maddie06 (original poster) at 1:39 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I just dump vinegar in mine and run it
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 10:25 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Yeah, the trap is way at the back, and cleaned...
    mom2maddie06

Comment by mom2maddie06 (original poster) at 6:09 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• we use the lemon garbage disposal balls. toss three of them in there after poking a hole in them and call it good.. works like a charm and leaves everything lemon clean
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 7:13 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Zoejains_momma, Do you run the dishwasher without dishes??
    mom2maddie06

Comment by mom2maddie06 (original poster) at 7:24 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Glisten is a product you can't usually find in the stores anymore but that's always worked well for me. Plus it makes a difference if you have stainless steel interior vs. plastic (which stains easier and nothing gets those out). Also, good old elbow grease and comet works well around the door seals and any other place there seems to be soap build up. If you have softened water, you'll see less deposit too.
    Angelwolf130

Answer by Angelwolf130 at 1:06 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Yes, we run the dish washer without dishes in it when we put the lemon balls in
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 12:16 PM on Sep. 27, 2010