If you spank your child...

name me the reason's you would allow for that kind of discipline?

Ex. Being sent home from school for fighting.
Ex. Being sent home from church for cussing.

What would you allow as a Good Reason. AND What ages would you allow spanking for..??

**THOSE WHO WOULD NEVER SPANK... WE UNDERSTAND YOUR FEELINGS.. BUT OBVIOUSLY THIS QUESTION ISN'T FOR YOU!!!**

MAKEMYDAY101

Asked by MAKEMYDAY101 at 10:23 PM on Sep. 25, 2010 in General Parenting

• I spank for deliberate, outright defiance. Telling me no when I ask/tell him to do something, or doing the opposite of what I say is a big one now (he's three). And then it's one, maybe two swats, enough to get his attention and maybe sting a little at first. He has been spanked since he was able to understand "no", so probably about a year old, maybe a little later. It really depends on the child. And I don't see spanking being an effective discipline tool beyond the age of 9 or so.
    ruthie11617

Answer by ruthie11617 at 10:47 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I wouldn't spank my child for a reason as important as being sent home from school. I think serious matters like this can only be fixed/handled with conversation.

I will spank for less important reasons like not going to bed when I say they have to or being a brat (you know what I mean).

Age depends on the child but I have 7 kids and none of them has been spanked after the age of 8-9
    mysevenkids

Answer by mysevenkids at 10:28 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• We only spank for willful disobedience, not for childish behavior. There's a difference between the two. If we tell our kids to do something & they don't do it, or if we tell them not to do something & they do it anyway, they get a spanking. This would be after plenty of discussion & explanation of the situation & they choose to disobey anyway. After getting spanked they are given time to reflect, then we take them onto our lap & into our arms & we explain again why they got a spanking, they say they are sorry for disobeying, we share our love for them, their tears are dried, there are hugs & kisses & we move on. Spanking does not equal abuse & it doesn't harm children nor does it teach them to be violent. It teaches, it disciplines & it builds character.

ghostwriter777

Answer by ghostwriter777 at 12:25 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• gd question..but i never thought bout it..tho i dont really spank
    FreeSpriT4eva

Answer by FreeSpriT4eva at 11:51 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• We never have really had to spank our kids.. mind you they are only 2 yrs and the other is 4 months. The most we have ever done is pat their diaper so they could hear it but I don't even count that as spanking. We just patted his diaper and said no with our two year old. He is such a good baby that we never have to tell him again. He will even walk around seeing one of us doing something we have told him not to do and point and say "no" real loud. So, I think our system is working.
    ajc88

Answer by ajc88 at 4:15 AM on Sep. 26, 2010