How do you stay positive?

When you face something hard in your life how do you stay positive. I think I am a negative person and I want to be more positive...how?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:32 PM on Oct. 21, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• Prayer
    tmcewen

Answer by tmcewen at 12:41 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• It wasn't that long ago when my own world fell apart; I used to be an extremely negative person and viewed life as overwhelming rather than exciting until about 3 years ago. Do I have my days where I feel like I'm banging my head against a wall, YES! However, I believe that thoughts become things and so my positive attitude is a CHOICE I must make in order to create peace in my life. No matter what you're going through, even though you think you're far from where hope can see, I know there is a hand that is reaching out to you, because He did the same for me. Pray.

You are loved!
    livewell4me

Answer by livewell4me at 12:51 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• By counting the ways I have been blessed. If things are going wrong, I take a deep breath, and start thanking God for everything in my immediate surroundings.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 1:02 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• i don't it takes me while for me to pull myself up. i just continue to pray and read books that relate to my problem. i'm a negative person but my hubby is the opposite so he builds me up as well.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 1:13 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• Count your blessings, not your losses. That is my first rule.

Get yourself a spiral notebook and set aside 10 minutes every day to write. First, write down a few negative thoughts you had that day. How do you know when you've had a negative thought? Easy - you'll feel bad, angry, jealous, guilty, upset, etc... If you feel bad, what were you just thinking. So write down that thought. Then rewrite it in a more positive way. Here's an example for you:

Negative: I can't get my hair to look right today. I'm ugly. Everyone who sees me today will think I look ugly.
    Positive: Who cares what my hair looks like? It doesn't have to be perfect every day. It's fine. Whether or not my hair is perfect will not dictate whether or not I can have a productive, positive day. How silly would it be to let my hair ruin my day? I am beautiful just the way I am.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 1:18 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• Negative thinking is a bad habit. It probably took you a long time to learn that habit, so it will take some time and some work to retrain yourself to think more positively. If you practice rewriting your thoughts, eventually you'll start doing it automatically in your head. It will start to become second nature to you.

Another thing you can do is make a list of at least 5 things for which you are grateful. Perhaps you are grateful for your bad hair day because it gave you the chance to practice positive thinking. Or perhaps you are grateful for your health, or food and shelter, or your loving family... whatever. It can be anything.
    BlueFrogMama

• Send me a message if you are interested in more info. I did a self-help program years ago that really changed my life, and I'd be happy to tell you about it.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 1:20 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• Prayer and you have to focus on the present..stay in the moment....
    *close your eyes for say 15 seconds and you have to pretend to be a butterfly..when the 15 minutes is up....stop and ask your self...what color was the butter fly..what flowers did you see how did it feel to fly...etc...
    Then ask yourself how you felt in that moment? I bet it was positive....we have to learn to live in the moment because we cannot change yesterday and tomorrow isn't here yet....
    Breath
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 2:21 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• To help get out of my depression/negativity way of thinking I started a gratitude journal. I don't write in it every day. That seems too much like "an assignment". But when I'm starting to get a bit "hostile" towards life, I'll just start jotting down all the things I'm grateful for - my kids, our health, our home, my husband, etc.
    I start every day by asking for the protection of the White Light of the Holy Spirit so as to not be intruded with negativity since negativity comes in many forms, this is your best form of protection. I've signed myself up for various "feel good" type emails. So I get inspiring quotes in my email box every morning. I also just make a habit of changing every negative thought into a positive. I want to feel good today. I AM happy. I AM joyful. ETC. I have more tips if you'd like to hear them. God Bless!
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 2:47 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• I just remember God is with me no matter what. Even thought people would say other wise. When bad things happen run to God hold on to him and trust him. I mean TRULY TRUST HIM and that's hard to do. Because some times the road he wants you to go down can be HARD (lol iknow) and your like "your kidding me God rite ?"And most people these days will say "look at all the bad stuff that is happening to you, wheres your God now" and you know what i say "He's rite here with me he NEVR left me and he Never will" and that'show i get threw hard times. And that's how i stay positive and peppy. Good lick and God bless

Christine113

Answer by Christine113 at 3:16 PM on Oct. 21, 2008