Any ideas how to get a child interested in wanting to go to school to learn?

I've got childen saying, "I hate school" or when asked, "What did you learn today?" the same answer, "Nothing." Whether they're in third grade or junior high, its the same "I'm bored", "Why do I have to go to school?" I'm sure you've heard an earful too. Question is: What can we do to get them interested in learning? Wanting to get an education? Trying to do your best or just even getting them to try at something?

Prayerpartner

Asked by Prayerpartner at 10:39 PM on Sep. 25, 2010 in

• It is the parents job to prepare and encourage their children for a positive learning experience. The teacher and the school system are merely tools. The parent needs to encourage learning, provide opportunities for educational activities at home (and limit those activities that have no real value), have reading be a normal part of home life for everyone, give books as gifts, verbally praise good academic performance, etc.
    Gaccck

Answer by Gaccck at 10:22 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I completely agree with Gaccck - it's the parent's job. I always supplemented whatever the teacher was covering in school lessons. If they were learning about the planets, we would be outside with constellation guides looking at the stars. If they were learning about the civil war, we would make civil war period costumes for Halloween. If they were learning about farming/food production, we planted our own garden.
    missingruth

Answer by missingruth at 10:40 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• They're just normal kids, don't worry. Most kids don't like school. 2 out of my 7 kids do..!
    mysevenkids

Answer by mysevenkids at 10:43 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Well, I am a teacher and I hear it from my students. However, when I tell them the objective/purpose of why they are doing what they are doing it changes their attitude on the most part. Are their teachers, telling them the purpose daily? Whether they are or aren't, try telling them the importance daily and that sometimes in life we don't enjoy doing things, but they have to get done. I explain that to my 5 year old, when he isn't happy about the things he needs to do. I hope this helps.
    siimply_me

Answer by siimply_me at 10:45 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Teachers need to keep things exciting, refreshing and new to keep kids wanting to learn more.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 10:46 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Parental involvement is key to student success. If you can, volunteer in their schools, in the office, or at lunch duty, or for special classroom projects.
    Look through their school books and talk about interesting things you see in them.
    Talk about the things you liked about school, and the things you learned that helped you in life.
    My kids mainly like to go to school to see their friends, but they learn while they are there.
    Explain that adults don't always like to go to work but they have to, and if they want a good paying job that they like, education is necessary for that.
    RedRowan

Answer by RedRowan at 4:15 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• It's up to a parent to teach the importance of school - if the family doesn't value education, neither will the child. As for "liking it", they don't have to. But bored? I've always told my girls that smart children don't get bored - a person who is truly smart will be able to find something of value in anything they do. I've often challenged them to tell me what they learned when doing activities that they don't like. And I don't take "I don't know" for an answer ... a few times they tried that, and I said "sure you do - you sit here and think about it while I do _______". After a few minutes, they'd think of something - and as time went on, they became very good at finding the value in what they were doing!
    snivic

Answer by snivic at 11:28 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I think it is the teacher's JOB to get kids interested in school and in the learning and to be able to keep them interest in learning!
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 10:45 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Why do you, "think we put way too much on them?"
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 11:12 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Most days, my children like school. Some days, they don't. Such is life. They still must do what needs to be done.

I never have wasted time responding to "why do I have to go to school?" They know this. That's an attention getting behavior. So is "I'm bored". The last time my children were "bored"? I sent them to their rooms with empty boxes and told them to sort their toys to donate to the needy. The time before that? They cleaned the garage. They don't get bored very often any more. They have learned that they are capable of finding something interesting to do.
    yoliplus6

Answer by yoliplus6 at 11:45 AM on Sep. 27, 2010