What "Knowledge" was contained in the Tree of Knowledge?

There was a question a while back about the Tree of Knowledge which Adam & Eve weren't supposed to eat from... And after reading through the answers just now I got to wondering... Exactly what was this Knowledge they weren't meant to have? How could that have had "free will" without having all the knowledge to make proper choices either way?

I know no one has the answers here... But opinions are always a good thing...

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 10:53 PM on Sep. 25, 2010 in Religious Debate

• The knowledge of good and evil is what is traditionally taught. Before that first sin, the world was PERFECT. Taking that bite allowed sin (evil) to enter the world.
    ruthie11617

Answer by ruthie11617 at 10:58 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Well, from what I understand, its called the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil, I thought, but I don't believe that the creation story/Eden story is something that literally happened, but is merely supposed to introduce us into the Divine context and explain the "human condition." So I don't think that its so much the tree that matters in this Mythos, or what the fruit represented, but instead the attempt to explain why things are the way they are, if that makes sense...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:58 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I don't believe the story either, but it was a thought...

I've always heard of it as the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil as well. But my thing is, if they didn't know the difference between the two then they didn't really have the free will to make choices by. And if they didn't know evil, they couldn't understand lies or deceit... If this was the case then why was God so upset when Eve believed the Snake and ate from the tree? She would automatically assume the snake was truthful because she had no knowledge or understanding of lies...

Anyways, that's what I was thinking and what sparked the question!

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 11:03 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• If this was the case then why was God so upset when Eve believed the Snake and ate from the tree?

that's not what he was mad about. he was mad because instead of just saying it was their fault, they pointed fingers.

they already knew good. the world was perfect and good. but the serpent twisted what God had said, making Eve think she wanted to be like God and know not only good, but evil as well. God didn't want them to know evil, knowing what it would do to them. but he put the tree there because of the free will he gave them. they made their own choice.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 11:10 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• "But my thing is, if they didn't know the difference between the two then they didn't really have the free will to make choices by"

I guess the way people explain it is that they were ordered by God, and even if they didn't know good or evil, they knew that they were supposed to listen.

I do think that God would have foreseen it, though, and therefore would have had to have intended for it to happen, since it did "happen", if you kwim, lol.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 11:11 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• (which even furthers my belief that its meant to be Mythos and not literal, lol)
    bandgeek521

• I've had it explained two ways. One was the way it's been explained here. And another it was a tree that gave them the knowledge that they were naked. Yeah, I don't buy either story either, but that's how I have heard it explained.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 11:48 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• ive always been told the "good & evil" story, and that they didnt have free will until they ate from the tree. from that point on they were knowledgeable enough to make their own decisions about whither to be good or bad.

but im in the "just a story" camp too. i dont take this creation story any more literally than i do any other creation story.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:58 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge:..." (Hosea 4:6) "Then said Jesus, Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do...." (Luke 23:34)

The knowledge that Adam and Eve, like many people, lacked was of how the devil operated, through sin. Their sin was disobedience, if they didn't have free will to choose to obey/believe God or disobey/don't believe God then they wouldn't have believed the serpent. They had the privilege of walking and talking with God on a daily basis and not only allowed the serpent to call God a lier but they believed or wanted to believe the serpent instead of God. Their sin striped them of their heavenly covering.
    BUTTERCUP777

Answer by BUTTERCUP777 at 4:52 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• The tree stood for God's sovereignty. They had knowledge allright. Adam refrained from eating for how long, but of course not long enough. The fact that they were ashamed later and covered their nudity is proof that they had knowledge of right and wrong.
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 11:41 AM on Sep. 26, 2010