Is it normal for my one year old to poop 5-6 times a day?

My one year old has been pooping 5-6 times a day since she was 9 months old. It's not diarrhea. It's solid in the morning poops and then 1-2 mushy in the afternoon. I think I have figured out that wheat makes her have this many poops, but I am wondering if it's necessary to completely eliminate wheat from her diet. She doesn't seem to be bothered by it or have stomach aches. The doc wasn't too thrilled about it, but did say at the last appt if she is gaining weight than it's ok. She did go from 25th percentile to 10th though and that is probably from all the pooping! I hate to eliminate wheat because she is already allergic to dairy, so it's already hard to find things for her to eat! Please let me know if anyone has any thoughts on this topic. Thanks!

shandyeddie

Asked by shandyeddie at 10:53 PM on Sep. 25, 2010 in General Parenting

• What goes in must come out. I wouldn't eliminate wheat from her diet?
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 10:54 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• A healthy immune system will enable it's owner to "poop" once for every time they eat. If she is eating throughout the day and she's healthy, they yeah, she should be pooping that much. As long as she isn't loosing weight, or becoming dehydrated there is no need to worry, either way. I'm an adult and I usually go that often... Everyone should...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:55 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• If its not broke, why change it? I'm sure if the Dr. was worried about it, he would have told you to change her diet. You already know the signs to look for if it is harming her body. You're a great mom! Believe me, when something is wrong you'll both know! I use to think something was wrong with me. But its not. My body is original. It holds more liquid then Dr. have ever seen and releases more poop. Go figure! Keep monitoring her if it helps you feel better about it. Write down what time she eats in one column, what she eats in the next, then if she poops within 20 + minutes after she eats. Do this for two to four weeks. See if there is a pattern. If not, than she is doing what is normal for her body.
    Prayerpartner

Answer by Prayerpartner at 11:14 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Yes.
    mp3mom

Answer by mp3mom at 12:00 AM on Sep. 26, 2010