What does this expression mean?

"a dime a dosen"

DH posted a picture of our niece on fb and someone feft this comment "nieces are a dime a dosen, man. Keep it to yourself". Now, we're german so we don't really know what it means.. Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:46 PM on Sep. 25, 2010 in Just for Fun

• a dime a dozen means you can get a dozen of them for little money, or there are many of those things, in this case- I guess that guy wasn't impressed by the picture your husband posted
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 11:49 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• They were being rude. A dime a dozen means easy to come by. I would delete that person if it were me. Literal translation means you can buy a dozen of them for 10 cents.
    chocolatluver

Answer by chocolatluver at 11:49 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• wow, RUDE! Dime a dozen is like... no big deal, easily found, lots of them around... The guy's comment was very rude, like he didn't care to see her and your dh shouldn't post more pics of her. I would either ignore him or de-friend him!!
    mom2maddie06

Answer by mom2maddie06 at 11:50 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• It means that whoever wrote that comment is an @$$hole.

DMac08

Answer by DMac08 at 11:51 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• He could mean it like "you get them without having to give much"??

I don't know, it IS rude but I don't see why someone would insult a child's picture. Maybe he's English is not that good?
    mysevenkids

Answer by mysevenkids at 11:51 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Did your DH write somethng for the picture and they were commenting on what he said...if not sounds like he first off didnt type the comment right or they were being rude..I myself would have to ask them what the heck they mean about that..I dont think it is anything nice if what is what they ment to say..just my opion
    kids_r_gr8

Answer by kids_r_gr8 at 11:52 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Do you know a dozen means 12? Like you can get 12 of those for a dime.
    chocolatluver

Answer by chocolatluver at 11:53 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• yes, a rude comment.
    mp3mom

Answer by mp3mom at 12:33 AM on Sep. 28, 2010