How can I get my 2 year old son to potty train?

We are trying with pull-ups and putting underwear on him. We put him on the potty several times a day. Sometimes he uses the potty and sometimes he don't. When he does we congratulate him. We have tried putting cheerios in the potty so he can see them float and move when he uses the potty but he just wont. We don't know what else to do. Please help!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:50 PM on Sep. 25, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Seriously, try the 3-day method. It's worth paying the $20 or whatever it is. We're on Day 2, and he hasn't had wet undies since this morning! I've heard nothing but good things about it from other mommies I know, and so far, it's working great for us (my son is 2 also).
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:53 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Hahaha we have tried everything at this point. We have tried the 3 day, we have tried treats, sticker charts and all have failed. I wish you lots more luck then we are getting.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 11:54 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• To be honest, my son didn't like the wetness from peeing on himself and figured he needed to go to the toilet. Also, my ex-hubby taught him how to stand up peeing at two. He just had him him stand there and pee and aim. At first he was on a potty chair sitting down. All I can suggest is praise for when he goes and maybe try standing up, if sitting down is too hard. I hope this helps.
    siimply_me

Answer by siimply_me at 11:55 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Something I have been told from everyone, doctors to mothers, Your child will potty train in their own time. Pushing only causes trouble now and future. It will happen! Just think how many people do you know that are not potty trained? Hang in there it WILL happen!!!

mama_l

Answer by mama_l at 11:56 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I just waited and my daughter potty trained herself basically and so did my nephew
    Smiley001

Answer by Smiley001 at 11:59 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I know it will happen and we do praise for potting it is a little hard changing diapers for 2 kids while you are taking care of all four of your kids at once. And I have never heard of the 3 day method. Where or how do you get it?
    MrsBrandy

Answer by MrsBrandy at 12:04 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Handling 4 children at once is very taxing but it is not the child's fault. Potting training "wrong" can cause many problems, physical and mental, so please continue with the positive reinforcement and do not push. The child will make it in their own time. It may be a year or more from now but it will come. Hang in there and just assume that this child will still need changing for awhile. If you back off things may happen a bit quicker. Good Luck!!!

mama_l

Answer by mama_l at 12:29 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• The way that finally worked for us is to set up a reward chart. My son is really into the show blue's clues, so I made a chart with a picture of a blue's clues dvd on it. Each time he goes potty he gets a clue and each time he has an accident we take a clue off the chart. When he gets 7 clues, he gets a new dvd. (I found some Blue's Clues dvds for cheap on Amazon.) I was giving him a treat like candy each time he went, but that didn't work out so well so I decided to try the chart. He hasn't had an accident in awhile now and will sometimes run up and tell me 'a clue!' which means he has to go. If your child has something they're really into, it might be a good idea to try it!
    mbdc

Answer by mbdc at 3:00 AM on Sep. 26, 2010