how much do you spend on each of your kids for christmas???? equal amounts for each kid?

we are going to be on a tight budget for x-mas this year. so i decided to shop diffrent web sites and come up with "wish lists" so i can plan out exactly what to buy for each kid. then i'll know how much money i'll need to spend. i thought i'd spend about $150 each on my 5 and 3 year old and maybe $100 for my 1 yrold....

turns out $150 bucks only pays for part of the rose petal cottage i wanted for my 3yrold... so $150 doesnt go very far!!!

ssssoooooooo...... the root of my question is should i spend equal amouts for each kid OR do i buy them the same amout of gifts for each kid and not worry about how much i spent on each one???

rebecca_tal4

Asked by rebecca_tal4 at 12:52 PM on Oct. 21, 2008 in Shopping

• Kids dont really know yet how much all of this stuff is worth. They will fight though if one of them gets 3 gifts and the other one gets 4, 5 or maybe only 2. You know what i mean?!

So buy the same amount of gifts i guess. And also make sure that not one of your kids gets a HUGE box and the other one only a tiny box. Thats what I would do to avoid any fights between them :)

My daughter is 15months old (will be almost 18months at christmas). So far I spent about $80 for her christmas gifts.. i wont spend more than 100bucks tho.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 12:56 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• my kids are 2 1/2 years and 15 month, unfortunately they don't understand that some things cost more than others, so this year I'm just going by # of items. my son is getthing the vtech vmotion game system, but that is something they can share when my daughter is older.

when I first started shopping, I did it by # but my mom reminded me they have no concept of price yet. :) and I trust my mother as she had me and my brother 1 year apart.

your 1 year old will just want the box from the rose petal cottage! LOL :)
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 12:57 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• Id buy the same amount of gifts and not worry about the money
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 12:58 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• At those ages, they really don't know what things cost. I'd try to get them an equal quantity of gifts, equal sizes on gifts, more than equal dollar amounts at that age.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 12:59 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• Your kids are to young to be spending so much on them,,They don't know what price are anyway Save your money for when they get old enough to know prices on thing ,,,The 1 year old I wouldn't buy anything for xmas,,the 3 year old I would spend about $20 on and the 5yearold $50on.

Answer by louise2 at 1:04 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• wow! louise2.... $20 will buy ONE toy or ONE outfit.... and how could i not buy my one year old x-mas gifts??!! when i say x-mas gifts i mean gifts from santa and mom&dad and stocking stuffers....
    rebecca_tal4

Answer by rebecca_tal4 at 1:09 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• 1 year olds and 3 year old do not know what xmas is anyways, if you didn't tell them.. Why waiste the money when you dont have to...Wait tell they get to be teens..Then you will be spending $1000.00 per kid on xmas it sounds like to me

Answer by louise2 at 1:18 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• Does your area have Craigslist? We bought my DD a toy kitchen for $50 that is worth well over $100 and are saving it (covered in blankets in the basement) for Christmas. If you can get the same gift that way, you'd be saving some $$ and can still get the gift you want.
    icook

Answer by icook at 1:29 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• The cottage without all the stuff is 80 bucks or so. It comes with a oven :) Then i would just but NON rose petal cottage things to go in it.I gettin a set from fisher price,stroller,playpen type thing. and a doll.
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 1:34 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• I have each of my kids make a list and I always tell them that they will probably NOT get everything on the list. I try to make the # of presents fair but the $ part doesn't ahve to be equal. If they all get the sam # of presents and they get what they want...then does it really matter if you spent the same on each kid?
    sassyhettel

Answer by sassyhettel at 11:13 PM on Oct. 21, 2008