Bassinet or crib? That is the question.

I am living with my husbands niece, and i have a tiny room with a queen bed that takes up a good portion of it. My husband is coming back from Iraq in September 2011, and we plan on getting a house right after that. I am due this coming March. So our baby will be 7 or 8 months old once we move into our own place. But for now, me and the baby will be living in this little room, and I need some advice on whether to get a bassinet for the first few months, and then purchase a crib later on, Or just purchase a crib with the changing table/bassinet options on it.

Mskixxalot

Asked by Mskixxalot at 1:16 AM on Sep. 26, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• How about a portable crib? Smaller than a traditional one, but more baby room than a bassinet. Although bassinets are just too cute for words, sometimes.
    blessedwithree

Answer by blessedwithree at 1:18 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• although adorable they wont sleep in it for long..my daughter had her crib in my room since day 1...i saw it as a waste of money but pack n plays work but i never understood how could my daughter sleep comfortably in one for a semi permanent period...if it's for room purposes a bassinet will help...but at 7 months old the baby could potentially be able to sit up or try to stand (my daughhter learned to stand holding on the the crib rail around 6 months) and fall but a pac n play or a porta crib could be useful for now...
    Andrea C.

Answer by Andrea C. at 2:08 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I would get a pack n play. They are more useful and I had my DD in hers until we moved and then she went into her crib and now she is getting ready to go into a bed here pretty soon.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 3:23 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I say pack and play too. Bassinets don't last long depending on big the baby is and how much they move around and learn to sit up.
    fairyinabubble

Answer by fairyinabubble at 9:33 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• try a co-sleeper!! i only have a full and i have to share with my DH and DD!! You should be smooth sailing if you have a queen!! and best thing is when babys crying and needs to eat at night you dont have to get up! Sounds lazy but trust me, youll love it.
    hotmommy420

Answer by hotmommy420 at 10:09 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• sounds like our room we're using a bassinet right now till we buy a house next year hopefully when she gets to big for the bassinet we're going to use her pack n play till we move and then we will set her crib up in the new house
    neonangel2188

Answer by neonangel2188 at 10:55 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• When I was living with my parents waiting for my hubby to come home form Iraq we where in one very small room. We had a porta crib with the bassinet top and changing table built in, it was a life saver! And usable in a million different situations for the next 2 years, especially for a military family!
    DoveMomma

Answer by DoveMomma at 11:46 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I never really used a bassinet with my 3 boys. I had one with my two older sons. I used a pack-n-play in our room for my youngest until we moved him into his crib around 3 or 4 months old.
    Kristen1010

Answer by Kristen1010 at 10:10 AM on Sep. 27, 2010