does this sound fair from a workplace?

So i started waitresing at a restaurant, b4 i started they told me that i would get paid $2.13 an hr plus tips, which i thought okay thats fine i will make it up in tips, then the day i started they told me that b4 i leave i need to tip the line staff 15% of my tips, they get paid minimum wage so we both end up making like the same, they sd that the company had been sued by some employees ^ the company lost so yea we need to pay 15%, the reason why i dnt think its fair is because just like the line staff, we bust our asses off to , its more of a buffet style its huge , we need to clean the entire place & at the end of the day i just want to come home n crash out,it is hard work for us, does this sound fair to us waitstaff?

gabby06

Asked by gabby06 at 1:32 AM on Sep. 26, 2010 in Money & Work

• No way! they want u to spilt YOUR hard earned tips, let them give u a raise if you're busting ur ass harder than them...just saying lol!
    Andrea C.

Answer by Andrea C. at 1:36 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I'm sorry, I have been there and it's really frustrating when you don't feel like the people you're forced to tip out deserve it. But just remember that on really good days when you make more tips than normal, you're still getting 85% of it at the end of the night and you'll almost certainly end up making more than the line staff. Despite the fact that they make minimum wage, I guarantee they think it sucks that you get to keep 85% of it. ;-)
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 1:37 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• @ alice....
    Kudos for looking at the big picture and not just at "your little corner" of YOUR Universe.. :) :) :)
    FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 2:47 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I don't think it's fair really. But I thought most places did it?
    fairyinabubble

Answer by fairyinabubble at 9:16 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Do I think it is fair no I don't. Would I want to keep my job yes. SO I would do it until I found another job. Besides they don't have to know exactly what you made in tips either.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 12:44 PM on Sep. 26, 2010