why is my cat chewing on his tongue?

Seriously it is super annoying, and I wonder if something's wrong with him. He doesn't do it on cue though so the vet hasn't seen it.

blessedwithree

Asked by blessedwithree at 1:34 AM on Sep. 26, 2010 in Pets

• Do you think it is hairball related? I guess you and the vet have already checked for broken teeth, etc... maybe it's dry food, when my bird was having unusual behaviors, I video taped her and took it to the specialist, maybe that will help.

Good luck!
    kerryket

Answer by kerryket at 3:20 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• video taping him is a good idea, thanks. No it's not hairballs though. It's just the strangest thing! Thanks for your suggestion :)
    blessedwithree

Comment by blessedwithree (original poster) at 12:42 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• how old is he and has he always done this? I have to wonder if it is some sort of neurological thing. I'd also have to wonder if something is in his mouth. An x-ray might be a good idea
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 3:12 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• He is coming up on 5 years. He has not always done this, but has for the past 2 years. I don't think anything is in his mouth, I have had him examined, but neuro is possible. Thank you :)
    blessedwithree

Comment by blessedwithree (original poster) at 3:18 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Does your cat chew on the carpet or lick areas that you recently cleaned? It could be fibers in the throat or a "numb" tongue from licking something inappropriate.
    ivy102381

Answer by ivy102381 at 10:11 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Hmm I haven't noticed his biting being related to anything. He can be sitting quietly next to me and just start biting at his tongue.
    blessedwithree

Comment by blessedwithree (original poster) at 10:11 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• hahaha as annoying as it may be, it sounds hlarious! if you get video of it, post it!!!
    Katie T.

Answer by Katie T. at 1:30 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Well, we have a small female about 1-1/2 yrs old that I raised from 10 days old on a bottle. Whenever I finished feeding her, I'd pick her up and kiss her on the side of the face and love on her a little before putting her back in her bed. Whenever I'd kiss her face, she would 'chew' her tongue. Now whenever I pet her or smooch her cheek, she chews her tongue a little. I have read that it's a sign of stress, but I don't think that is always so. But sudden unusual chewing would seem to indicate to me poisoning or a bone or stick or something stuck in her mouth or throat.
    Katalina471

Answer by Katalina471 at 10:59 AM on Oct. 12, 2010