In need of some advice...is it jealousy or what??

My ds started kindergarten this year and I stay home with my dd, who is 13 months old. He has been going for a little over a month now. He is doing awesome, but I am having some issues with my little girl. The first 2 weeks or so of school went great, but the past couple weeks when ds gets home from school dd screams and cries when I pay ANY attention to him (I mean if she even catches me looking at him). She is the sweetest angel during the day when he is at school, but shortly afters he gets home she goes into a tizzy. I'm not sure why and the only way to get her to stop is to hold her the whole time (which is not really do-able all the time). I try to help with homework but ds cant even concentrate over the screaming. I try to include her, but sometimes he needs my full attention. I just don't know what to do. I feel like I am neglecting my ds because I am always dealing with her. Any advice??

sammyjo1327

Asked by sammyjo1327 at 1:46 AM on Sep. 26, 2010 in General Parenting

• im having the same problem too, though mine isnt that bad my lil one is 21months so he understands a little bit more, whenever i sit w/my 4yr old and ask him how his day went or go through his folder w/him my lil one comes and sits right in between us like if he doesnt want us to have a bond, i always tell my hubby get mr jealousy out of here, its weird because its only when me n my 4yr old are together that my lil monster does that he gets all up on me hugging me & wont let go of me.
    gabby06

Answer by gabby06 at 1:50 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I have no clue but I am interested in the answers you get. I have twin 2 year olds. They don't get jealous (yet) and I hope they won't since they have had to share me since the day they were conceived!
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 2:00 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• You are probably on the right track, thinking it's jealousy. I've been having a similar problem with my 21month old, as soon as her 3yo sister started preschool this year. She is a DEMON whenever her sister is around, but an absolute angel while her sister's gone at school! I think maybe she's feeling left out, like she knows her sister's getting to do something special that she can't do yet? Maybe that's how your DD is feeling? I wish I had good advice but I haven't found any good solutions yet!
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 2:07 AM on Sep. 26, 2010